cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sending email on Android phone

trumpeter
Hooked

sending email on Android phone

Is there any way to send email from my HTC Desire without being connected via WIFI?
I can send email when connected at home over WIFI but not over my mobile internet connection.
Annoying when you're out and about!
Any solutions apart from using the webmail page.
5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: sending email on Android phone

Hi,
Presuming you pay for the account your email address is associated with then yes, you probably can.
I say probably because it will depend on your mobile provider as some of them intercept traffic that you try sending out over port 25. What provider are you using?
What you need to do is change your outbound mail settings to use SMTP authentication. This will prompt for a username and password which will be the same as the ones you use to log into our main website.
Give that a go and see how you get on...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

trumpeter
Hooked

Hi rob,
I am on the 3 mobile network.
I have login required ticked on the phone setup but says it cannot connect to mail server.
From what i've read they block port 25 for email sending and recommend using an SSL connection.
Does plusnet have any plans to use another port now that android based phones and mobile internet / email are taking off?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: trumpeter
I am on the 3 mobile network.

That's going to cause problems then I'm afraid Sad
Couple of solutions would be to:

• Change to a mobile operator that doesn't intercept your outbound email (Vodafone don't, not sure about the others).
  • Find a provider that lets you send outbound email over port 465, 587 or 993 using an email address of your choice (I use Tuffmail but they're probably a bit expensive considering what it is you're trying to do).

You could use 3's SMTP server address (smtp.three.co.uk I think) but AIUI they will change the from address and may even charge for the privilege.
Might be worth speaking to 3 about it.
Hope that helps.
Oh, and it's Bob, not Rob Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

atbs1
Grafter

I'm a 3 user and also have an HTC Hero.
I can send/receive receive e-mail vial a hotmail account that I have set up.  My contract allows for "unlimited" useage (!) However there is a 1Gb cap I believe. 
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

You could use 3's SMTP server address (smtp.three.co.uk I think) but AIUI they will change the from address and may even charge for the privilege.

If you're on the 3 network use can use smtp-mbb.co.uk to send email and it won't change the from address.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.