cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

repeated requests for log on and password details

TraceyB

repeated requests for log on and password details

The dialogue box requesting username and password details keeps popping up. This is happening across all devices and we haven't been able to receive or send an email from our account since 22 April. I deleted the account from one device and tried reloading it in Outlook but I was unable to do so. I also tried rebooting my pc but that made no difference either. Any suggestions for fixes?

3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: repeated requests for log on and password details

Hi @TraceyB 

A warm welcome to the forums.

You do not clearly indicate if this is on reading the mailbox or on attempting to send emails.

Reset email password

Which ISP are you with, Plusnet or one of the other / legacy vISPs?

Are you able to login to the email address using webmail? If not then it is likely that your email address has been identified as being compromised and has has its password changed.

You can only change the password on your DEFAULT email address by changing the password on the ACCOUNT through the user portal. You can change the password on a secondary mailbox using the Manage My Mail options in the user portal.

MAAF users logging into webmail should use their full email address. Use the MAAF user portal to update the password on the default email address (change the account password) and use this MAAF guide to change the password on a secondary mailbox address.

DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD AGAIN for that would allow the continued exploitation of the account. The new password should be cryptic and not one used before.

Note that changing the account password will change the password used for logging on to the user portal AND that required by the router to connect to the internet. If the router is a Hub Zero or a Hub One supplied by Plusnet it should update automatically. If not, you will need to log into the router, drop the connection, change the password and reconnect.

On the assumption that the email address password has been compromised, I strongly recommend that wherever you have used that email address / password combination as access credentials to services such as Amazon, Netflix, eBay etc., that you also change the passwords on those service as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TraceyB

Thanks for your response Townman. In answer to your questions, the dialogue box pops up repeatedly as soon as I open Outlook. Our ISP is Virgin Media, but we have kept our Plusnet email account. I cannot access webmail as it says that my logon details are not correct, even though they haven't changed. I guess this is because the account has been compromised.

When I clicked on the user portal link in your message, it just took me to an error page. When I log into my account there is a warning message that says that changes are already underway so I can't do anything wrt to changing passwords etc.

Not sure where to go from here...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Thank you for drawing to my attention that the 'stock' message link does not work for you - it should be https://www.plus.net/member-centre/login

Have you recently left Plusnet?

If yes, I'm wondering if there has been an over sight in resurrecting your Plusnet email services?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.