Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

redirects email

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

redirects email

I am not very good at the the mail settings , don't know why, but I could do with some help. I wont use real addresses. I have an Hotmail address that i use as my main mail address now. I still get a lot of mail through my plus account and have a domain hosted with plusnet too.

So lets say I have these addresses

• xyz@hotmail.com, where i want to consolidate all my mail
  • xyz@xyz.me.uk (hosted by plusnet) 
  • username@username.plus.com (my account default mailbox)

I have the catchall "on" directed at default account so anything sent to @Username.plus.com or @xyz.me.uk will be delivered.  

I have a redirect from xyz@xyz.me.uk working so any mail for that address arrives successfully at xyz@hotmail.com,

I can not set up a redirect on my default mailbox because that is not an option. 

So my question is ....

How do i have mail originally sent to my default mailbox, -either  directly or via the catchall for my username or domain name- end up in my hotmail account?

Hope that I've explained that OK. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: redirects email

Short answer: you can't Sad

You can only redirect email for specific local parts e.g. bob@<domain>, rita@<domain>, sue@<domain> etc.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think the closest you can get to this is to set up Hotmail to fetch the mailbox content, probably using POP3 to keep the mailbox tidy. This would mean Hotmail holding the mailbox access name and password, not ideal if it's the default mailbox.

To reduce security risks you could create another mailbox, then make that one the default (so it is accessed using account credentials). Make sure catchall still goes to what was the original default and set a new password for this. Note that it's access username will become accountname+mailboxname. Make sure the postmaster address is aliased to the desired mailbox.

I think Hotmail supports external mail collection but only collects every 60 minutes, so not ideal for important messages.

David
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thank you both