cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"[Blank]" in email subject line.....what does it mean?

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

"[Blank]" in email subject line.....what does it mean?

May I be very cheeky and ask a question relating to some emails received on a friend's btinternet a/c?
Regards....
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "[Blank]" in email subject line.....what does it mean?

It probably means that the message sender simply forgot to enter any text in the "Subject" box,
then either the email sending program automatically inserted "[Blank]" rather than sending nothing as a subject,
or the receiving email program displays "[Blank]" to indicate that there was nothing to display.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It simply means that your friends were to lazy or couldn't be bothered to enter a subject for the email and your email client as added the [Blank] to tell you this.
I find this annoying myself as it makes searching for them later tedious. But that's me  Tongue
fotobits
Rising Star

Thank you so much for your replies, however, stupid me, the added word is not "Blank" it is "Bulk."
I came across it a long time ago and I can't place the significance.
Any new thoughts?
Regards...
fotobits
Rising Star

"Bulk" added to email subject line....what does it mean?

Some emails received on a friend's btinternet a/c has the word "Bulk" added to the Subject line.
Any ideas what this means?
Regards....
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Topics merged.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Again this has either been added at the sending or receiving end and means that you are not the only recipient of the email. When sent a BCC (Instead of a To) was used to send the email to multiple addresses at once and may indicate spam. As far as I recall this is what Outlook does (did).
Edit - Corrected typo.
fotobits
Rising Star

Thank you Mook.
Up to 10-years ago, I used BTInternet and, as a result of the comments, I now seem to remember that "Bulk" was added to the subject line by BT to indicate a mass distribution, that suggested a possible unwanted message carrier.  I suspect you could then decide whether "Bulk" mails should be eliminated at server-level, at user-level or allocated to a folder apart from the rest.
Thank you everyone for your responses, you have jogged my memory!
Regards and thanks....Noel