cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems with folders in outlook

tetchytim

problems with folders in outlook

since last week when plus net generally was causing problems accessing the internet i have had problems accessing emails through outlook 

so raised a question via messenger was asked if i had changed password recently which i hadn't and was advised to remove the account from outlook and adding it back syncing it back up in the process, problem is how or where do i do the syncing as all my folders i had created prior with some important emails in are longer showing up in outlook only in web mail and ever thing i have done since dosnt seem to work 

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 164

Re: problems with folders in outlook

Probably a hiccup in Outlook.  Sometimes for no explicable reason, you need to specify the IMAP root folder in the server sync settings - if it is needed, it should be inbox

Alternatively, if (for whatever reason) you set up the new account in Outlook as POP3 you will only see the inbox folder - nothing else.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tetchytim

using outlook 2010 i think and not outlook for windows 

is the reference about IMAP relates to ? (outlook for widows)as just tired to set up my email account and with this email they are asking for imap.plus.net and this doesn't seem to work 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 425

@tetchytim wrote:

using outlook 2010 i think and not outlook for windows 

Do you think or do you know? There are many versions of Outlook and they are all different.

Sounds like you have been very poorly advised if you have deleted your accounts.

If you are setting up an account from scratch you need to know whether you are using POP3 or IMAP. If all your messages are on web mail then it must be IMAP. 

It is years since I used the obsolete Outlook 2010 but from memory:

Do not try to use the automatic settings in Outlook, switch to manual mode.

In Outlook 2010 account settings the required server settings are:

Account Type IMAP

The rest is here: https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

IIRC encryption will not work with Outlook 2010. It’s time to upgrade!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tetchytim

been use to this for a long time what upgrade would you suggest and what would be best way to get emails of web mail to it 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Depends what you need. MS Office (365) subscription is circa £7pcm that gives you everything. Win11 has a mail app which will do but has limitations.

Thunderbird is used by many and is free.

There are others - use google to see what’s available.