cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem in setting up an e-mail address

rosjig

problem in setting up an e-mail address

I have just joined plus net and I am trying to set up my e-mail.  I am using windows live  and windows 7 operating system and I have followed the e-mail set up  guide and I can't send or receive.  I have checked and double checked the settings and I can't work out what is wrong. 
11 REPLIES 11
algarvegit

Re: problem in setting up an e-mail address

>:(Hi.
Me too.  As a new user I am regretting ever signing up with PLUS and its 'award winning service'.  Its  a joke.
How difficult is it for PLUS to set up the default mail account.  Have they not done it thousands of times for their existing users?
DEE-ZAA-STER Darling!
Not applicable

Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry that you are having a bad introduction to Plusnet - hope that things improve.
I am just wondering if you have set up your mailbox in the member centre?  If not, this needs to be done first and you need to name your default mailbox thus:
xxx@username.plus.com.
Once this is set up you need to send a message to it from another account (if you don't have one then ask a friend to do it for you).
This will activate the mailbox and you should be able to log into it using Squirrelmail.  When you do this the logon details are username only plus your password.
Next, Livemail settings are username only (no @ sign in it) tand then password for the account.  Server settings are incoming mail.plus.net and outgoing relay.plus.net (note that it is not plus.com).
If you haven't already done so, here are some links for you to look at:
http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/settings.shtml
http://www.plus.net/support/email/email_troubleshooting/troubleshooting.shtml
http://www.plus.net/support/email/email_explained.shtml
http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/windows_live_mail.shtml
http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/
I too use Livemail and it works just fine once set up correctly.
Good luck and post back if any more problems arise.
rosjig

Thank you for replying I have just had a reply from someone at plus net.  I didn't realise that you had to create a mail box in the members section.  I have since created a mailbox and have recieved comfirmation of it so it should work now thank you.
Not applicable

Glad that you are now sorted.  It is a bit confusing - I can't remember having to do this when I joined Force 9 six years ago.
Anyway, hope that everything goes well and that you find Plusnet a good ISP to be with.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

When we joined a long time ago I think you got an email address whether you wanted it or not and it was postmaster@username etc.
algarvegit

Thx for the feedback.  I have already setup a mailbox, tried sending email to it - zip/zilch/nada.
I have also sent  an email to postmaster - although all the documentation I have read says the default email is firstname@accountname etc etc - and this didnt work either.
However, my attempts so far have been using an alternative email address as the source.  I have just changed the sending email address to my PN address and waddya know - the postmaster mail came through.  Doing the same again with my newly setup 'mailbox' address also works.
How bizarre. Thx again.
ecclesjohn

I too am having similar problems, I eventually managed to set up my default mailbox as,
xxx@username.plus.com
I sent an email from an external account and was able to log into plusnet webmail and the message was received.
However when I send an email from plusnet webmail they are sent from the following address
username@username.plus.com
I must say I've never had so many problems getting email to work.
Not applicable

Yes, these days it is a bit of performance.  What you have at the moment is how it used to be automatically set up by Plusnet some time ago i.e. customers did not have to configure their own mailbox.
Few ideas:
I am not sure about this but you might have to raise a ticket or call in to have the staff reset things at their end.
However, you could first of all try going into Options > Personal Information > Name and Address Options and then insert your chosen email address then save. You will see the Edit Advanced Identities underneath and this is for aliases.
Go into Manage My Mail in the Member Centre, select Mailboxes and just check to see which address is set as the default - is it username@username or is it the one that you defined?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@ecclesjohn
You need to set up your 'sending' email address within webmail to the one that you want.
Login to webmail, click Options along the top, then click Personal Information.
Change the E-mail Address: entry to what you want it to be, then (most important) scroll down to the bottom of the window and click the Submit button.
You should find that e-mails are now sent with that as the 'from' address.
David
ecclesjohn

many thanks to poppy and spraxyt,
webmail now fixed after following your instructions.
Default address in Manage My Mail in the Member Centre was set correctly as the one I defined.
Not applicable

Glad it's sorted.  If you feel like getting to grips with the alias function you might find it useful for supplying an email address to people/companies you are not sure about.
It's a good way of avoiding spam because if you receive any with that particular address you can easily delete it in the member centre/manage my mail.
Each identity can be added to webmail in exactly the same way as you have already done.