cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please help orange email settings

afcafc

please help orange email settings

I have tried everything now. I have read the other posts and am still having problems.
receive emails fine but can not send anything. If I change the outgoing to smtp.orange I can send over a mobiel signal but not wifi.
driving me mad now!!
Thanks for help, much appreciated.
20 REPLIES 20
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: please help orange email settings

To send by wifi from a Plusnet connection you probably need to use relay.plus.net unless Orange allow a connection from a non Orange connection to their mail servers
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

You will only be able to send using smtp.orange.co.uk when you are connected to the orange network i.e using the Orange mobile network. When you are connected via wifi ( I assume your PlusNet broadband ) then the orange smtp server will not accept the connection. In this case you need to send the mail using plusnet's smtp server, relay.plus.net. You MAY be able to use the plusnet server when you are on the Orange network by using authenticated smtp, it depends on whether Orange block port 25 to other servers or not...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently got a new phone, discovered the Orange SMTP not working over WiFi problem, spent ages trying all the suggestions on various forums, but came to the conclusion that it just doesn't work.
I am very familiar with the ins and outs of setting up email protocols using a variety of email clients, so I am confident that I was not having finger trouble, or setting things up incorrectly.
In the end, the easiest thing to do was set the phone POP3 to fetch from my Orange account inbox, and send SMTP via Plusnet.
afcafc

Yes I have tried everything I can think off and also looked at all the forums.
I have a google email address that is great and works across any wifi
sorry not sure I understand what you mean.
My biggest issue is I spend alot of time abroad and want to be able to use various wifis. When I was with 02 this was fine.
All very strange.
Thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The reason it doesn't work is that ISP's need to ensure that their smtp servers are not used to relay spam. They therefore need to check that anyone connecting to them is a bona-fide user. In general this is achieved by checking the IP address of the source, if its not one of their own issued IP addresses they reject the connection. Hence when you are connected via wifi to your router your IP address will be a PlusNet issued one and so the Orange smtp server will reject the connection.  The exception to this is where you use 'authenticated smtp' in this case you supply a userid & password to connect to the server, this way the server can allow access even though your IP address is not one of its own range. The PlusNet smtp server will allow this but you need to use your main account name and password ( rather than the individual email account ) and it has some security issues in that the name & password are sent in clear text. Unfortunately this method is sometimes made impossible by the mobile networks in that they block ANY connection on port 25 ( the default smtp port ) to any destaination other than their own servers.
I hope that explains it...
Edit
My biggest issue is I spend alot of time abroad and want to be able to use various wifis

I spend time in Portugal and use a mobile dongle there ( on the Vodafone network ) and using authenticated smtp via relay.plus.net works fine. However I have tried here on the 3 network and I'm pretty sure that it got blocked and I had to use smtp-mbb.three.co.uk to send.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

afcafc

thanks all. It just seems that I may as well just use my google email as that works fine.
Thanks again
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If you really want to be able to send email from just about anywhere using the same settings then there are commercial authenticated smtp service providers out there ( but they do charge ! ) like this http://www.authsmtp.com/?gclid=CM2O_ZucvqECFVKZ2AodHF3mDg. They provide encrypted login and also provide the ability to use non-standard ports for access, thus getting round the mobile network blocks on port 25.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

thanks all. It just seems that I may as well just use my google email as that works fine.

But doesn't google mail rewrite the from address to your google mail account , so its not possible to send email as though it came from your PlusNet ( or domain if you have one ).
Something from another forum...
I set up Gmail for a client for SMTP access, and we discovered the following huge drawback: Gmail automatically rewrites the "from" line of any e-mail you send via their SMTP gateway to your Gmail address, and it overrides any Reply-To settings you may have in your e-mail software in favor of the one in Gmail's web interface. So while Gmail's SMTP access sure is handy, it's not a perfect solution for everybody.

afcafc

No sorry I meant i will just forget my P email and use google mail. I can still check my PN email on an iphone , just cant send from it!
The link http://www.authsmtp.com/auth-smtp/pricing.html looks interesting, how does it work? Do you know.
Ideally I just want one email address. Doesnt seem to be asking for much!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The link http://www.authsmtp.com/auth-smtp/pricing.html looks interesting, how does it work? Do you know.

Yep, suggested BIL set up an account with them a little while ago. He spends time overseas and uses various wifi networks and wanted a way to send his email from anywhere no matter how he was connected. The basic package allows you to register up to 10 email addresses that it will allow you to use in the 'from' field. You connect to their smtp servers either on the normal port 25 ( or 2525 if you think any network you use may block 25 ) and authenticate with a userid/password that you create with the smtpauth account.
You can then send/receive email from any of the up to 10 email addresses that you register on your account. Have a look through their faq's

bawatson

What a farce!  I have spent hours and hours trying to set this up.  My iPhone is on Orange and I cannot set up the imap email facility correctly.  Someone at PlusNet needs to publish an accurate, definitive and complete step-by-step guide to setting the phone up.  The previous guides are either incomplete or inaccurate.  I am reasonably computer literate - how would an old granny possibly manage?
Come on PlusNet, I'm not the only one struggling out there.
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: bawatson
Come on PlusNet, I'm not the only one struggling out there.

What is your problem?
There is so little info required to set up the imap account. I struggle to figure out where you could be going wrong.
What are the symptoms of your problem?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

This should show the basic information: http://community.plus.net/library/email/setting-up-plusnet-email-on-an-iphone/
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
zubel
Community Veteran

FWIW, in true Apple style, the iPhone shows no details about failing to connect to an IMAP server - it either does, or doesn't.
Recheck all the settings, and if it still doesn't work, you might be able to check out this guide.  (warning, humour involved)
B.