Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paypal phishing doing rounds on hotmail

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

paypal phishing doing rounds on hotmail

Just got one and it looked very legit, wording and spelling were correct, but my hotmail is no longer associated with my paypal account. So I logged manually into my paypal account to check it wasn't hacked.  Wasn't till I went to forward it to the paypal spoof address that I saw the links for a polish site drannaszmytt.pl
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
3 REPLIES 3
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: paypal phishing doing rounds on hotmail

Thanks,
Like many others I get a monthly email from paypay to look at the transactions on my account, so it would be easy to get caught out with this.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
Buggwrit
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I've had these on my Plusnet account as well. I've got into the habit of never clicking on email links and always logging on to the relevant website.
Since I never expect to receive legit mail from eastern european countries or indeed a lot of other countries around the world each time I've received spam or spoof mail from a new one I've created a message filter in Thunderbird to weed out anything with its country code (eg, .pl) in the address field. So far the number of filters has reached 24.
BearDown

The simple habit to get into (other than just logging into the legitimate site from a bookmarked link in your browser) is to hover your mouse pointer over any of the links in the email without clicking on them and seeing what url (web address) appears at the bottom of your screen. Just be very aware of similar spellings trying to catch you out, such as 'paypall', 'H5BC' or 'hotmaiil'.