Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

outlook email app on android

andytab
Dabbler

outlook email app on android

hi, have outlook email client on android to get plusnet emails,

It is asking to sign in every time i open and emails not arriving for hours.

I reset and even reinstalled etc. Tried differnt port nos etc. no joy.

The support message from them is there is issue with security certificate.

Message says   'notify youre provider that the serverce identity and trust chain listed in your providers ssl certificate does not match the domain youre connecting to.  any ideas   thanks

8 REPLIES 8
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: outlook email app on android

I think that Plusnet's email service isn't secure enough for Outlook's liking - that was certainly the case a year or so back and I havent seen anything to say it has changed.

I took the decision a few years ago to move to an outlook.com email address and forwarded all my old pn email accounts on to the new address in the meantime. I still get the occasional legitimate mail on the pn accounts.

If you are reluctant to start an new email address, as a workaround I found the Bluemail app on android worked pretty well and was happy to work with the deficient security settings.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

It used to be the case that the PlusNet email system did not support SSL/TLS , it does now and has done for a while

See the settings here https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Oops - so sorry for the duff info

andytab
Dabbler

Not duff at all the groundsman. thanks  Kept saying some cecurity certificate wasnt good enough. ssl or something. Will look at other email clients. 

thanks  MisterW  ,  in the link you posted it has another port no which i hadnt seen. 'If your client doesn't support STARTTLS, then you can set SSL/TLS to Yes and set the outgoing port to 465.'

It works.

andytab
Dabbler

Stilll works.  No alerts or asks to sign in.

But dont get emails for about 12 hours. 

Outlook is in top recommended email clients.  Any ideas as to why not getting emails straight away?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Apparently there are lots of issues with the android platform ... Why is my incoming mail delayed? | Android - FAQ (9folders.com)

As for security certificates, if you've left Outlook to guess the server settings, they may well be incorrect, albeit workable but not match the security certificates.  For example, in the case of the out going server smtp.plus.net will work, but the security certificate is configured for relay.plus.net

In respect of the out bound server, it should be configured on port 587 with STARTTLS not port 465 which is deprecated.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

andytab
Dabbler

thanks Townman. i found youre other info in other threads too now.

esp this one  Outlook settings for Android (IMAP) not working  

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Indeed that was a long haul - though you finding it illustrates the merits of the community - reuse of previous advice.