cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

outlook Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

philpow

outlook Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hi I recently bought a new pc which unfortunately has Win 8 on it my old pc is XP (wearing a black arm band) I use Outlook express and have had no problems save that I have created.
In their infinite wisdom and I use the term advisedly MS have removed this programme from Vista though to 8 and provide Outlook Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Ok I thought times change lets go with it so I created an Outlook email address and was able after several attempts to add my PN address I was even able to import my contacts the problem is while I can view my email it stays in the PN server this is my main address and I do not want to change my primary address as it would be very time consuming to say the least.
How do I get my PC to download my PN email.
Phil
4 REPLIES 4
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: outlook Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

That's honestly not a bad idea.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: philpow
In their infinite wisdom and I use the term advisedly MS have removed this programme from Vista though to 8 and provide Outlook Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Are you sure it's Outlook and not Windows Live Mail? - They both look pretty much identical but one is lacking the advanced features of the other.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: philpow
Ok I thought times change lets go with it so I created an Outlook email address and was able after several attempts to add my PN address I was even able to import my contacts the problem is while I can view my email it stays in the PN server this is my main address and I do not want to change my primary address as it would be very time consuming to say the least.

I'm not entirely sure from your description what is happening, and what you want to happen.
1.  Outlook, the program, includes email, calendar, contacts etc features, and resides on your computer.  An Outlook.com email address, on the other hand, is an email address with Microsoft - which "normally" is used from the Outlook.com mail website - residing "in the cloud".  Which are you using?
2. If you are using Outlook the program, and if PN email is staying on the PN server when you are viewing/writing/replying/forwarding etc, then that implies Outlook is accessing it via IMAP.  If you want Outlook to grab your PN email and remove it from the PN server at the same time, then I suggest that you need to remove the IMAP server settings and make a new "account' (not actually an account, instead it's really a set of settings) but use POP3 (not IMAP).
3. If you are using the Outlook.com mail website, and really you just want to use your PN email address, then you have several options.  a) Continue using the Outlook.com website, and put up with its limitations. b) Stop using the Outlook.com website, and delete your Outlook.com email address/account - and then start using a different system.
4. Different systems could include:

• the Plusnet webmail system http://webmail.plus.net which is a website and resides "in the cloud" so you can access it anywhere;

• another website/cloud-based system like google mail or yahoo mail - and there are ways to get such systems to access your PN email in a way that hides the fact that you are using them so it's clear to you and people you communicate with that your PN address is your primary address;

• or a piece of mail software that resides on your computer (like Outlook Express used to) - e.g. Windows Essentials Mail is the successor to Outlook Express, or you could use Thunderbird, or if you already have Microsoft Office or want to buy it, there's Microsoft Outlook (the program), and I'm sure there are various other free or paid-for email programs out there.

I hope this helps.  I didn't intend this to be so long when I started!  Smiley