Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

out-of-office

albert
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

out-of-office

Is there any way of setting up an automated 'out of office' reply while I'm on holiday?
And is it a good idea to do so, given that there's a fair amount of spam email around?
Thks
A
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: out-of-office

It can't be done at the Plusnet end, you'd have to do it at your end which means leaving a PC on with a mail client running that provides such a feature.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
drj
Aspiring Pro

It can be a problem. I left the office about 9am on Friday morning not expecting to come back in and being out on Monday too put an out-of-office message up to that effect.
I unknowingly then received a response email from an online directory at which I'd placed a query, which my out-of-office message replied to - which their automated service also then acknowledged - which set up a continuous loop with emails bouncing back and forth!
Fortunately I unexpectedly returned to the office about 2pm, five hours later, to find 540 emails in my inbox! I turned out the out-of-office to break the chain.
However because we have a bespoke email client that, intentionally but annoyingly, won't permit you to delete emails in batches, I then had to individually delete all those 540 emails! Really tedious!
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Your mail client is broken (in two places).
Automated 'out-of-office' responses should be rate limited, usually to one response per sender address for a given time period, to avoid this kind of situation occuring.
Mathew
drj
Aspiring Pro

Thanks - I know - try telling that to the software development company that wrote the software. And it happened several years ago when we were running Outlook too.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

It's a rare opportunity to say something like this, but even Outlook behaves properly in this respect!  Smiley
Mathew