cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

noob advice

kingwill

noob advice

Hi I'm new to plus.net and I'm looking for help understanding the email setup.
I've set up a mailbox with a username, lets call it catdog. i.e john@catdog.plus.net. I then set up other email addresses for my wife i.e. jane@catdog.plus.net as an alias with the destination john@catdog.plus.net.
Now what happens when we individually get mail? We both log on to our system with different log ons and her set up used to only show mail addressed to her and my set up mail addressed to me. will we now both recieve mail sent to either of us or if I set the accounts on thunderbird for john@catdog.plus.net for me and jane@catdog.plus.net will that seperated them>
I'm just a bit confused about this
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: noob advice

I am not sure what you are attempting to achieve.
If you and your wife have separate windows logins and presumably want to collect only the mail addressed to one or the other as appropriate why did you set it up as an alias instead of a separate email account
kingwill

DOH! Because I don't understand, of course, which is why I'm asking!
I didn't set it up as a different account because I didn't realise this was what I needed to do....my point exactly...I don't understand how this works. If I did I would have set it up right.
I wanted us all to have a similar email address like we used to under our old isp ie. john@oldisp.co.uk and jane@oldisp.co.uk. Are you telling me to get the functionality I want I need to set up 2 accounts i.e. john@catdog.plus.net and jane@antfly.plus.net?
If yes is this done by adding another mailbox on the system?
dick:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not quite
First delete the alias
Then after it has gone create however many email addresses as you want in the form
john@catdog.plus.com
jane@catdog.plus.com
fred@catdog.plus.com
where catdog is your Plusnet username
Note the email address is plus.com not plus.net
This explains how https://www.plus.net/support/email/newemail.shtml?supporta=addaddress
kingwill

This is getting a bit clearer now thanks.
Sorry about saying plus.net instead of plus.com, as I said I'm a noob to plusnet.
When I create a new email address asper your post it asks where I want it delivered. Do I check 'Deliver to a new mailbox with its own login and password'?
kingwill

Ok I've sorted it out now.
Thanks