cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new email address for wife

gtfc197
Dabbler

new email address for wife

I have set up an email address for the wife but used my domain address so all my emails are going to her address aswell as mine.
Can she have a different domain address instead of my " @*******.plus .com.
If so, how do I set it up for her.
We are both changing from BT to Plusnet.
Also is there a quick way to have all emails from BT account transferred to our new addresses?
Thanks
Mick.
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: new email address for wife

The standard procedure is to have two emails
me@username.plus.com
wife@username.plus.com
and the route to download the emails for each address only is username will be wife+username.plus.com and me+username.plus.com
This covers most of the basics http://www.plus.net/support/email/index.shtml
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Jim,
Those guides are not quite as clear as the might be if you are not sure what you are looking at.
@gtfc197
Look at the 'email addresses explained' link.  If you have the catch all enabled you can send an email to anything.youwant@username.plus.com and it will arrive in the DEFAULT mailbox if you have not created a separate mailbox for anything.youwant.
So if you have told your wife to use wife@username.plus.com and have not set up a mailbox called "wife" hen all of her email will arrive in the default email box.
Following the instructions on the "how to add a new email address" and add a new mailbox called "wife" (or whatever).
On her PC (or whatever email client) when configuring her email connection, you specify the account name as username+wife with the password you used when the mailbox was created.
Configured as described, the wife's mail box is completely separate and private with its own username and password.
Though this separates her email from yours, it does not do what you asked - provide a separate domain name.  That can only be done by her using a different email provider - e.g. Gmail.com - or by you (her?) obtaining your own domain name and asking PN to host it for you.  This needs a bit of work, but in the long term is a great solution.  If you tell the world that your email addresses are...
Me@ourdomain.me.uk
Wife@ourdomain.me.uk
And you retain full control of the domain name, should you ever change ISPs, then you can migrate the domain name to your new ISP and you will not need to go through the pain of telling the world you have a new email address with a new provider.

HTH.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gtfc197
Dabbler

Thanx for quick replies.
She has decided to use her Gmail address. Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

That avoids you being blamed when it does not work...
...one less problem!  Grin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gtfc197
Dabbler

Grin Grin Grin