cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple 'from' addresses via a client ?

FIXED
div

multiple 'from' addresses via a client ?

I use an IMAP client for "normal" email, but use the webmail interface to access my catchall account. But like others on here, I'm getting increasingly frustrated by the increasingly common service unavailability on webmail.

One feature I make use of is the multiple identities, so that I can compose a reply using the same 'from' address as it arrived in the catchall account.  Will the (presumably) smtp relay accept  anything@xxx.plus.com as a valid from address, or will it reject anything but the account name of catchall@xxx.plus.com ?  I guess I could tolerate it adding a  Sender: catchall@xxx.plus.com if that's what it took. (I think gmail does that.)

Using a 'from' of catchall@xxx.plus.com with a reply-to of anything@xxx.plus.com is no good. eg a mailing list could reject that since it's not the subscribed address.

(I'll also need to choose an email client which allows the from address to be edited, but that's a separate problem...)

Dave

9 REPLIES 9
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: multiple 'from' addresses via a client ?

Fix

It is possible to do what you want, though I use claws mail. I have multiple IMAP identities which include my main and catchall email "boxes" and the from address is shown in the compose window and fully editable. In a test to confirm, the header shows the edited (unregistered) from address in both reply to and from fields of the received test e-mail in the catchall mail-box.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Thunderbird!

When composing an email there's a drop down on the From Box. It lists all the addresses for the mailboxes you have set up, but at the bottom it also has "Customise From Address...". Selecting that you (first time) get

Thunderbird from address.jpg

Click OK and the from box becomes fully editable and you can put what you like.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I use Thunderbird for this.

Under the account options choose settings. On the first page choose Manage Identities

This brings up a list, the first is used by default.

You can just add one by pressing Add.

I use multiple identities, (set up on my mail server first) so that I can filter by user/id and reply using the correct identity. (drop down list on the message composition page)

Hope that helps

jelv
Seasoned Hero

HairyMcbiker's method is ideal for when you will be frequently sending replies with the same different alias, mine is ideal for a quick one off change. Either way Thunderbird fits the bill.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

To add another point:

In Thunderbird when you compose a message the drop down where you select To, Cc, Bcc also has Reply-To and Followup-To.

div

Thanks all.

claws seems like a nice lightweight client, and runs happily on my old underpowered eeepc. Mozilla products are feature-rich, but that tends to make them a bit bloated.

claws allows me to add additional send-only accounts, so I can use this to emulate Hairy's multiple identities, to give a choice of preformatted addresses, which can then be further edited. One obstacle I had to overcome was the config dialogues are too tall to display on my tiny screen, so I had to plug in an external monitor just to be able to configure it !

I do use thunderbird for work email - I can see the config for multiple identities, but don't seem to get offered the chance to edit the address.  I'm probably running an old version, or maybe I previously told it not to notify me again.

div

Hmm - it seems to have allowed me to fabricate an email from my gmail adresss to another (non-plusnet) address, without appearing to have added any headers (such as X-Sender) to record that my plusnet account was in any way involved. I'm sure that can't be good...  Well, plusnet's relay does record the IP address of the first hop, so I guess they could map it back to my account, but that's not something the recipient would be able to do.

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

That's fairly standard behaviour. Account ownership is an issue between you and Plusnet, and not the rest of the world. If a recipient wishes to complain about an email they've received then their investigations should only ever lead them to the first hop MTA (Plusnet) as knowing your account identity won't aid them any further. Reliance on X headers is futile given that they are trivial to fabricate (indeed that is generally the point of them).

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@div wrote:

claws allows me to add additional send-only accounts, so I can use this to emulate Hairy's multiple identities, to give a choice of preformatted addresses, which can then be further edited. One obstacle I had to overcome was the config dialogues are too tall to display on my tiny screen, so I had to plug in an external monitor just to be able to configure it !

That seems to be a general problem these days - "nobody uses a screen smaller than 800x600" seems to be another current mantra Huh You can, sometimes, drag it partly off the top of the screen, though.

With 4GB, my eeePC 701 just manages to install OpenSUSE XFCE - not much room for data though Crazy

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.