cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

metronet to outlook via relay.plus.net

tobiz
Hooked

metronet to outlook via relay.plus.net

Simply put, because the detailed text i prepared got lost, if you have a metronet email account & use relay.plus.net as smtp server when not connected via plusnet as isp it fails due to reverse dns lookup error, sending to gmail or thunderbird clients is ok. This is a plusnet relay to outlook issue, someone fixing it would be nice.

5 REPLIES 5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: metronet to outlook via relay.plus.net

Best to post your question to the Email section of the forum https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/bd-p/Email .  Perhaps a moderator will oblige?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Do you mean Outlook, the email client software that comes with the more expensive versions of Microsoft Office?  Or do you mean Outlook.com, Microsoft's web mail system formerly called Hotmail and then Live?

tobiz
Hooked

Good question. I don't know the answer yet as I'd  have to ask the recipients, but my guess is it's the MS Office one. What I do know for certain is the emails get accepted by gmail, K9 mail and Thunderbird but get bounced for the reverse dns issue by one or more other clients. I'll know more in a while.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Suggestion:

In MS Outlook, part of Office, ensure you change smtp port to 587 from default of 25; this enables me to send e mails when not on PN network.
Also works when on PN too Smiley

Plus as in image.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@tobiz wrote:

Simply put, because the detailed text i prepared got lost, if you have a metronet email account & use relay.plus.net as smtp server when not connected via plusnet as isp it fails due to reverse dns lookup error...

Huh

What particular error are you referring to? There's nothing wrong with the configuration of the relay servers as far as I'm aware.

Note, that you will need to authenticate using a Plusnet username and password when sending through relay.plus.net outside of our network.

Having said that, if you're sending from a Metronet email address then you should really be using the Metronet relay server and not the Plusnet one:

server: smtp.metronet.co.uk
username: <your metronet email address>
password: <your metronet password>

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵