Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

message rejected due to spam or virus

rnewfie
Grafter

Re: message rejected due to spam or virus

What's going on with this?

I receive the message below every time I send any emails with an image in them.

I have been using the same emails for many years and yesterday, they started failing.

If I send the exact same email, but edit out the image immediately before sending, it works.

I have 30 different emails with images in them and now none of them work.

11/06/16 16:37
552 5TcG1t0060gWXnW01TcJFK message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Some characteristic of your images is clearly upsetting outbound spam checking. Sad

I suggest choosing a handful of the problem emials and working through the procedure described in post Outgoing email blocked rejected with code: 552 Message Rejected with each of them.

Hopefully this will train the spam filters appropriately but if not the post explains what to do.

David
rnewfie
Grafter

Well, that was a waste of several hours.

I checked that the emails were still failing, and they were, so I followed the procedure of sending the same emails from webmail as suggested, and they didn't fail.

I then proceded to see what the difference was between sending from webmail and sending from Outlook. I tried all sorts to get it to fail so that I could do the 'not spam' thing. No matter what I tried, it wouldn't fail on webmail.

I then tried to send one of the failing emails from Outlook to myself on Outlook so that I could look at the headers, and it went through without failing.

I tried all of the other emails in the same way and they all now go through - I have changed nothing.

The only difference between today and yesterday when they were failing, is that today the emails go through instantly. Yesterday, every time I sent a failing email, it would take a minute or two, just to send a 2k email. Today, it is instant.

I come to the conclusion that something has changed at Plusnet's end, because nothing has changed here.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Well it's good news that the problem emails are no longer rejected when sent from your home connection. Smiley

Clearly the spam filter training guidelines I linked to do not envisage the messages not being blocked when sent from webmail. Something for their author @bobpullen to consider I think.

David
rnewfie
Grafter

And all emails are being rejected again today.

I notice that when they are going to be rejected, they take a couple of minutes to send one email, but when they go through without error, they take a second or two.

Can't Plusnet stop changing the rules from day to day. This is no way to run a service.

It is a waste of time ringing support. They won't be able to fix it. I reported something to them six weeks ago and apart from apologising for the delay, they have done nothing.

Here is today's error :-

13/06/16 10:19
552 69JC1t0080gWXnW019JEgy message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Has your IP changed between the blocked/not blocked/blocked occurrences (eg by restarting your router)?

David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@rnewfie wrote:
Can't Plusnet stop changing the rules from day to day. This is no way to run a service.

On the contrary. This is absolutely how an antispam engine should work. It needs to be dynamic and react to trends/threat reports in the field. There's a bit more reading about it here if you're interested.

Sadly, no solution is perfect and it can occasionally get things wrong.

It is a waste of time ringing support. They won't be able to fix it. I reported something to them six weeks ago and apart from apologising for the delay, they have done nothing.

Our helpdesk can fix it. The issue would need escalating to a second line team though and can take a day or two. Probably one better suited to chat.

Here is today's error :-

13/06/16 10:19
552 69JC1t0080gWXnW019JEgy message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.

Is this being caused by an image again? If so, where are these images hosted? Feel free to forward me a copy of the email that's failing  via PM and I'll take a look.

@spraxyt wrote:
Clearly the spam filter training guidelines I linked to do not envisage the messages not being blocked when sent from webmail. Something for their author @bobpullen to consider I think.

Webmail was probably configured to forward the messages in plain text, therefore removing the offending HTML.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵