cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

message rejected due to spam or virus

graham
Grafter

message rejected due to spam or virus

Long story short, my wife was not getting emails from a job agency she signed up with and it would appear they were getting bounced.
Turned off Spam filtering and today I get a message through from them which both Mailwasher Pro and Thunderbird think might be spam.
I attempt to reply to the message and get the error in the Subject Title.
After a bit of trial and error forwarding the message to myself I have identified the probable cause as an element of their signature which when I remove it allows the email to send.
Said element is an image which is a link to their website. I have sent a mail with just the link in and that send fine which only leaves the actual image part of it to be the cause as far as I can tell.
Now obviously they are sending these emails to many different people without issue so I'm guessing it's a PlusNet related problem? Is there anything that can be done?
I'm guessing it might well be this same issue that is causing it to be flagged as Spam when incoming as well, and I'd rather turn the Spam filtering back on as I've found it to be quite good until now.
Cheers
21 REPLIES 21
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: message rejected due to spam or virus

Quote from: graham
I'm guessing it might well be this same issue that is causing it to be flagged as Spam when incoming as well...

You guess correctly, and outbound spam filtering can't be switched off either.
Try this...
Try forwarding the message using Webmail. It should fail with a similar error at which point you'll end up with a copy in your Drafts folder. Copy the message to your Spam/Junk folder, then highlight it and click the 'not spam' button on the toolbar.
Do that a handful of times, wait an hour or two and see if there's any change. if there's not, forward a copy of the message source to to me via Private Message and I'll take a look.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

graham
Grafter

I shall try that and report back.
Thanks.
graham
Grafter

Okay. Been trying to do as you suggest.
From within Webmail the message sends successfully...
Download the same message into Thunderbird and it still refuses to send with the same error message - the server responded with code does change though.
Graham
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

What's the response code now Graham? Is the from address you're sending from in Thunderbird the same as it is in Webmail. I've checked some of your recently sent mail against our spam detection engine and it's come back clean.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

graham
Grafter

The response code is different every time I try and send it. 3 times in a row garners 3 different codes. This is the latest one 32Xt1s00R25dCug012XvvR
The from address in Thunderbird is one of my mailbox/domain addresses where as the webmail one is my generic Force9 address.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah, so it's still a 552 error then?
If you navigate through Personal Settings in Webmail, you can add a new identity with your domain mailbox as the from address. Try sending from the same address you're using in Thunderbird but using Webmail. I've checked the three domains hosted on your account and those too look fine.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

graham
Grafter

Set up a new identity and again it forwarded fine.
Immediately downloaded to Thunderbird and got an error when trying to forward it.
Email in question is "Failling message" in my webmail sent folder.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

There's got to be something else at play here. If I copy the contents of that sent message and paste it into a fresh Thunderbird message, then it sends successfully using relay.plus.net. That only really leaves the recipient address/sender address, a signature of something like that triggering something?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

graham
Grafter

Looking at that sent one all the links etc.. seem to have been converted into [5] type layout. Is this normal?
As I said in the first message I have identified the bit of the email which seems to be causing the problem it's an image link.
I have highlighted just that image, cut and pasted it into a new email with no other contents and that email fails to send with the same error.
If I send from Thunderbird using my Yahoo account to my F9 account it arrives flagged (by Thunderbird or Plusnet) as Spam.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Looking at that sent one all the links etc.. seem to have been converted into [5] type layout. Is this normal?

It will be because Webmail is configured to forward in plain text. I've changed it to HTML now so perhaps you can try again from Webmail?
As I said in the first message I have identified the bit of the email which seems to be causing the problem it's an image link.

Apologies, I overlooked that. If you can send the HTML variant in Webmail then I can take a look at the image.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

graham
Grafter

Okay with Webmail set to HTML I get the image and it fails to send with a 552 error.
I guess now I do the copy to junk thing and hit the not Spam button?Huh
EDIT: Well it did not create a entry in Drafts to click not spam on. So I copied the original there and tried to send it again and this time it went, and now it send fro Thunderbird too, as does the original message that was causing the issue in the first place.
So maybe what ever glitch that was causing it has gone away ????
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It was the image causing the issue. According to our email security vendor, it featured in a fair few messages that have been reported as 'spammy'. The reputation has been reset now, which will be what's allowed it through.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

graham
Grafter

So I can turn the Spam filter back on again now  Cool
Thanks for your assistance.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries. Yes, you can turn the spam filter back on again.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team