cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lineone.net email forwarding rejected

macliam

lineone.net email forwarding rejected

Years ago I set up a lineone.net Mail-ID, but over time started to use others as my main email resource. So I set up the functionality to forward all the emails in the lineone account to a hotmail (now live.co.uk) account.  All was well........ until the last week or so when no emails have been appearing.
Checking back on the lineone account (now run by TalkTalk) if find "undeliverable message" entries, which say:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-"SC-004 (COL004-MC5F28) Unfortunately, messages from 62.24.202.74 weren't sent. We recommend that you contact your Internet service provider. The problem is that too many unwanted messages have been sent from the following IP address above. You can also refer your provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors."
550 SC04 suggests there have been complaints about emails from a particular IP address... so as lineone is run by TalkTalk, I was concerned that my email account might be compromised. However, I have had no other feedback and can't see any indication of an issue (other than this). So, this isn't something lineone can help with and I checked with Microsoft, but they say this is an ISP - i.e. Plusnet issue.....
Wherever the issue lies it's a PITA  Sad
3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: lineone.net email forwarding rejected

That IP is TalkTalk's forwarding mail server:
person: Gavin Ditchfield
address: TalkTalk Communications Limited
address: Northbank Industrial Estate
address: Irlam
address: Manchester
address: M44 5BL
address: United Kingdom
phone: +44 161 222-2000
fax-no: +44 161 222-2008
nic-hdl: GD1052-RIPE
mnt-by: OPAL-MNT
created: 2003-11-28T14:19:58Z
last-modified: 2011-07-15T10:44:15Z
source: RIPE # Filtered

They'll need to get in touch with Microsoft to resolve the issue if the problem persists.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

cedlor
Grafter

This is pretty well documented on the Talk Talk  site forums.
Do Microsoft definitely say ISP   and not IP ?   Perhaps Microsoft? have assumed you are using your ISP's email service to send emails. ie  that if you are using talktalk (lineone)  emails then your ISP is talktalk.
Basically what has happened is that Talktalk have had a spammer bouncing thousandsx10s of emails off their clients accounts onto Hotmail addresses.
Hotmail ( microsoft)  dont want their clients bombarded with spam to they just stop (blacklist) any emails coming from Talktalk (line one) servers  as they reckon talktalk should have procedures in place to stop the spam.
Talktalk will close down affected servers and use other ones untill they can prevent the spam but it may take up to a week for them to convince Hotmail
that they have been successful.   In the meantime it is impossible to send an email from talktalk to hotmail.
When queried this by forwarding my email to talktalk this the the reply  received
Thank you for your email.

From time to time, we do get blacklisted. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. We are constantly monitoring our mail platform,  in order to catch any possible spam issues. However there are still times we get hit and then get blacklisted. Most blacklists will auto remove a mailserver 72 hours after the last piece of spam was detected.  However some list owners can take up to 7 days.
Your continued patience during this time is appreciated.
Kind Regards
Abuse Response Team
TalkTalk Technology | Part of TalkTalk Group

So, It is very very unlikely that plusnet have anything to do with this particular problem.
macliam

Thanks both for this - it makes a lot more sense...... and I queried the ISP comment with MS, but they repeated ISP.......
Still a PITA, but a temporary one (hopefully) meanwhile I have started migrating things away from the lineone account as TalkTalk have abandoned any support for it (another PITA after so many years) - just need to let a year go by to pick up the ones I've forgotten  Sad
This is the reason I used a non ISP-specific account in the first place......