cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inbox seems to have been emptied (thunderbird, imap)

FIXED
gunsmoke2
Dabbler

inbox seems to have been emptied (thunderbird, imap)

Hi

using Thunderbird, via IMAP

very strange thing happened yesterday.  sometime in the afternoon, our inbox looks like it got emptied, along with the folders that were there.

address book and all the local folders are still there, and since it happened, emails have been coming and going through ok.

pretty sure it isnt a thunderbird profiles thing

Anyone any ideas what it might be?

Thanks

Richard

30 REPLIES 30
gunsmoke2
Dabbler

Re: inbox seems to have been emptied (thunderbird, imap)

also,

email on ipad has done the same thing.

is it something that has happened at Plusnet side of things?

thakns

Richard

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you checked what you can see via webmail - that will tell you if it is a local or server issue.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gunsmoke2
Dabbler

thanks

webmail is showing the same, nothing before yesterday afternoon

Richard

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

This has all the hallmarks of your email storage having exceeded the fair usage policy and the warning emails having been ignored, sent to spam or an email address you no longer use.

Double check the email account regretted in your user settings (see the user portal) and check your closed tickets.

A call to support (phone or chat via the contact us link) will confirm matters and facilitate a restore so that you can cull the clutter.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SpinDryer
Grafter

wrote:
This has all the hallmarks of your email storage having exceeded the fair usage policy and the warning emails having been ignored, sent to spam or an email address you no longer use.

I've just read the apparent email acceptable use policy, and if it's still valid it says :-

53.3 If you exceed a total of 25Mb of unread email for more than a 30 day period it will be removed without notice to you.

For starters the term size is wrong, it should say 25MB - there is a massive difference to 25Mb. Plusnet needs to update it.

The main issue is 25MB!, that could be a 2 or 3 pictures. 25MB is an extremely low value.

However, the OP says all folders have been removed - that is not in the AUP, nor is the size. IMAP stores emails on the servers, if there is a size limit, then surely the system would stop receiving emails and bounce back to the sender - not delete at will.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Could you post a link to where you found that email AUP please?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/acceptable-use-policy/ - see section 9 for the email FUP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Yep, that's what I found which is nothing like what @SpinDryer has quoted - hence my request for a link.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

It looks like it's on a page that's been archived.

Linky

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Browni - Thanks, in other words out of date stuff found via Google!

@jelv - Yep, provided the link to (current) FUP to clarify matters

@PlusnetLiam - given that users can "come across" archived material via Google (and other search engines) is there any way of making very clear that the found material is archived please?  Different .css styling for material being retrieved from the archive?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

I might be a bit simple, but should you only get current FUP's or data on anything with a 'legal' position from the current link on the website of ANY organisation? Some (e.g PayPal) make major changes on a fairly regular basis.

John
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The URL for that page is www.plus.net/info2/legal/tandcarchive/pre070704/legal_stuff-aup-useofemail.html

If you take of the end and look at www.plus.net/info2/legal/tandcarchive/pre070704/ it says:

General Terms & Conditions for PlusNet Services

These Terms and Conditions apply if you signed up prior to Thursday 7th July 2004 and have not changed your product.

@SpinDryer complained that 25MB was an extremely low value. In 2004 I'd suggest it was perfectly OK and more than 2 or 3 pictures as he suggested! I've looked at some of my photos from then and they were around 1MB each.

Edit: Also given connection speeds most people had at that time would they be emailing 1MB photos or doing what most of us did and rescale to reduce the size first?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1 wrote:

I might be a bit simple, but should you only get current FUP's or data on anything with a 'legal' position from the current link on the website of ANY organisation? Some (e.g PayPal) make major changes on a fairly regular basis.

John,

The current link (as I provided) does only report current information.  It is evident that the user did a Google search for something like "Plusnet email FUP" and found ARCHIVED content at the top of the results and ASSUMED it was current info.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

@PlusnetLiam - given that users can "come across" archived material via Google (and other search engines) is there any way of making very clear that the found material is archived please?  Different .css styling for material being retrieved from the archive?

I'd suggest that all pages should have the heading

These Terms and Conditions apply if you signed up prior to Thursday 7th July 2004 and have not changed your product.

and not just the main page for when they are found by by a random Google search.

wrote:

No because generally the conditions apply that were in force when you entered the contract. If you change product or re-contract the current conditions then apply. If Plusnet do impose a retrospective change the user must be given the option to leave at no cost.