cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone - can't delete messages with attachments

Confused05

iPhone - can't delete messages with attachments

I've an  iPad Air and  iPhone 6 both running IOS 8
I have the same Plusnet IMAP email address on both devices and can delete any message on the iPad but when I try to delete messages on the iPhone I can delete text only messages but when I try to delete a message with an attachment  I get a  " this message could not be moved to Trash”  message box.
I've checked the mail settings on both devices and they are identical.
I also have a gmail  IMAP address and can delete messages with attachments on both devices so don’t understand why it’s only the Plusnet messages with attachments that I can’t delete on the iPhone ?
9 REPLIES 9
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: iPhone - can't delete messages with attachments

Hi, and welcome to the PN forum!
Try setting the IMAP Path Prefix to INBOX in advanced settings for the email account on the iPhone and see if that fixes it.
Confused05

Thanks for the reply  I tried that but still can't delete the messages with attachments.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Did you enter 'INBOX' in capitals?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Confused05

Yes. I tried INBOX,  Inbox and inbox
My iPad which is also on IOS 8 does not have anything in that field and deletes the messages without any problems.
dick:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It is peculiar, especially since it only happens with emails that have attachments. Have you tried deleting/recreating the account?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Confused05

Not yet but I had thought about that if there was no other fix
I'll give it a try when I get home
dick:quote
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Sometimes the iDevices get their account settings screwed.  Everything looks OK, but it is not!  You could try a cold restart of the iDevice.  After that trash the email account setup and start it again.
...that said sometimes on my PC the Outlook client fails to complete the move from the inbox to the trash folder...

...Just remembered something - are you sure on the device which is failing that under the advanced settings, you have "mapped" the deleted items folder to the IMAP junk folder?  As I was about to click post I recalled a similar experience with someone who had not mapped deleted items to the IMAP folders...
HTH.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Confused05

I've deleted the mailbox on the iPhone and re-created it but the problem  is still there and i've  also tried a restart on the iPhone  but this didn't fix the problem
I've re-checked the advanced mail settings on the iPhone and they are identical to those on the iPad  so why I can delete the messages with attachments on the iPad and not the iPhone I have no idea  and why the problem is only with messages that have an attachment as I can delete text only messages on the iPhone
This appears to be limited to my Plusnet email account as the gmail account I have on both devices does not have this problem.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Can you open the email attachments on the iPhone? I'm wondering if this is happening because you've marked the messages for deletion on another device but the mailbox is yet to be expunged.
You could probably test this by logging into the mailbox using Webmail, right-clicking the Inbox and then left-clicking 'Compact'. You should then revisit the iPhone and see if there's been any change in behaviour/the emails you can see.
Failing that, can you confirm that you've tried the guidance in the third post down here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team