Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6 and emails

FIXED
Jim44
Hooked

iPhone 6 and emails

Can anyone help me set up email on my iphone 6? I have tried all the correct settings from the Plusnet help pages but it does not work. It was working fine until a couple of weeks back then outgoing mail stopped. It said it could not connect to the server relay.plus.net 

My settings are Incoming Mail Server  Host Name mail.plus.com 

Outgoing Mail Server SMTP relay.plus.net 

Primary Server relay.plus.net  is set to ON

Other SMTP Servers  relay.plus.net  set to ON

When I check email it says Cannot Get mail

The mail server "mail.plus.com" is not responding. Verify that you have enetred the correct account info in mail settings.

All help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Re: iPhone 6 and emails

Hi @Jim44,

Please accept my apologies for the issue with your outgoing mail.

Under primary server and outgoing mail server, please ensure you have the following details stored.

Host name: relay.plus.net

Username: Your account username if it's a default mailbox or username+mailbox name (prefix to the @ symbol is your mailbox name)

Password: Your account password or the mailbox password

Use SSL: Off

Authentication: Password

Server port: 587

Once you have selected done, also close the application with settings and mail then reopen mail and try sending yourself an email to test it.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Jim44
Hooked

Jubby, thanks for your help. I did everything you suggested and clicked Done and exited the app. Went to Mail and am getting the message Cannot Get Mail - The mail server "mail.plus.com" is not responding. 

So now I cannot get or send mail! 

Settings are Incoming Mail Server- Host Name -mail.plus.com

Outgoing Mail Server - SMTP relay.plus.net

Primary Server -relay.plus.net  - ON

Other SMTP Servers - relay.plus.net -ON 

What am I doing wrong? 

I have to say this all seemed to start after an apple General Update last month. Could that be the cause of this problem? I was using plusnet mail since I switched to you last year. It works fine on my two Mac computers. 

It's driving me nuts.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Jim44 the incoming mail server should be mail.plus.net not mail.plus.com

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jim44
Hooked

Thanks MisterW, I just changed ot to mail.plus.net, saved it and got the message Cannot get mail, mail.pllus.net is not responding.  

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Fix

Hi @Jim44, just to make sure there's no underlying issues with the server side. Are you able to log into https://webmail.plus.net/ at all? Once on there is it clears emails have been received since you first observed the issue on your client?
If you can access the webmail and have seen emails have been received through there then one thing I'd recommend to check the SSL settings on your client which usually defaults back to ticked with Apple updates. Make sure that SSL is disabled in both inbound server settings and outbound as this could be stopping the connection to servers. Let us know how ti goes.

NotAGeek

Hello. I have the same problem & have been unable to send emails from my iPhone 6s for months. I have done everything mentioned in the above comments but it doesn’t solve the problem. I can receive emails but not send them. Please help.

Jim44
Hooked

Hello, thanks for your help.I have just checked the settings and it had defaulted back to SSL ON. Why do apple think that is a good idea?  I have another apple update pending so will check for that problem after I install it.

I have now got my mail back and successfully sent a test message which was received along with other emails. 

I hope this helps others with the same problem.

A big thank you everyone for their help in resolving this issue.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@NotAGeek, it would be worth making sure SSL is turned off in your email settings too. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Jim44
Hooked

Thanks adamwalker, I had SSL turned off but it was defaulting to On after I had saved and closed the settings app.