cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to get a Plusnet Mail Only Account

swissbank
Grafter

Re: how to get a Plusnet Mail Only Account

Alex, many thanks for this very interesting input.

First of all, you said "For the cost though I'd pay it for say a few .... "

Just to be clear, they told me yesterday that there would be no charge for the Mail Only Account and that has to be good news.

We are both talking about the Mail Only Account feature aren't we?

swissbank

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Welcome to the community forums @swissbank

I'm sorry to hear you've left us and if you were advised that a Mail Only account will be free. 

Sadly it does cost £1.06 per month in order to keep it up and running.

does the Mail Only Account allow me to receive and, send emails from my Plusnet Web Mail account?

Yep. And using a mail client too.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
swissbank
Grafter

Gandalf, thanks for clarifying that Mail Only Account charge.

No doubt they'll let me know in due course when they will collect it each month as I've heard nothing yet, which is worrying.

I'm pleased to hear that I can both send and receive emails.

That will help me in notifying others of my change of email address.

Would you mind explaining " And using a mail client too"  What's that?

I've had some great support from you and other Community Forum members these last few days.

I wish now that I'd made more use of it over the years I've subscribed to Plusnet as I feel sure it would have helped me resolve the problems I've had and saved me a lot of time and frustration.

swissbank

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Email clients are programs which run on your local computer (desktop, laptop, tablet or phone) and collect mail from and send via appropriate email servers. Examples are Thunderbird, Outlook 2016, the Gmail app on Andoid. devices and Mail app on iPads. Webmail is an Internet based service that provides access to mail by logging in using a browser.

David
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problems swissbank.

No doubt they'll let me know in due course when they will collect it each month as I've heard nothing yet, which is worrying.

We'll take the payment on your bill date.

I've had some great support from you and other Community Forum members these last few days.

I wish now that I'd made more use of it over the years I've subscribed to Plusnet as I feel sure it would have helped me resolve the problems I've had and saved me a lot of time and frustration.

You're always welcome back in the future. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
swissbank
Grafter

David/spraxyt, got it, thanks.  That explanation is crystal clear to me now.

Thanks,  Peter/swissbank

swissbank
Grafter

Anoush/Gandalf, thanks for that reassurance about payment and the bill date, it's appreciated.

Best wishes,  Peter/swissbank

swissbank
Grafter

acr, did you see my  "Now that they've told me that I've got a "Mail Only Account", will I be able to set up an auto forward now from within my current Plusnet WebMail account?"

I'd be grateful if you or the others could tell me if the facility is available on my Mail Only Account.

Thanks,   swissbank

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) removed duplicated quotes.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

You can't set up redirects from within the webmail application, that works in your browser only for receiving and sending emails

To set up a redirect (auto-forward) on your mail only account you need to login to the Member Centre at https://www.plus.net/index_nlp.html then go to Email Settings (on the left), and Manage My Mail.

Select the Redirects tab and follow the instructions for a new redirect.

David
swissbank
Grafter

David, that's really helpful thanks and is a great relief to me.

I'm switching the middle of next week so I'll wait until then before I create a re-direct.

In the meantime, in the "Add a new redirect" ? I'm not sure what they mean by:

@mypndomain.plus.com or @yourdomain.co.uk    

The pre-fix to my Plusnet address is "ps", so it becomes  ps@mypndomain.plus.com

Is that what they want me to put in the "Re-direct name:" box  i.e "ps" ?

Thanks,  Peter  (swissbank)

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Yes, it is just the prefix of the email address (the part before the @)  which goes in the re-direct name box. Note that this needs to be a name that currently does not exist.

If there is an existing mailbox with that name it would have to be deleted first. The default mailbox can't be deleted, in this case it would have to be renamed.

David
swissbank
Grafter

Mike/Mav, thanks for editing my earlier post.  Sorry about that.  Glad you spotted it.

David, so I'm creating a new email address of my choice which will be my re-direction mail box, right?

Peter

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Yes that's a suitable analogy. As I mentioned previously if you want the redirect to be for an existing mailbox you would need to delete that mailbox (along with its contents) before replacing it with a redirect.

David
swissbank
Grafter

David, Hmmm .... .. I do want the redirect to be for an existing mailbox, namely the Plusnet email address I've  been using for the past four years or so.

If I delete that mailbox, will I really delete all of its contents?

If so, I do not want to do this as I might want to go back at a later date and look at some old emails, which I don't think is unreasonable, is it?

Peter 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Peter,

You need to create the new email box with your new provider first. Then connect to it using the same email client you use to connect to the Plusnet mail box. Then move the existing emails in the plusnet mailbox to the new one.

Then delete the existing Plusnet mail box before setting up the same name as a redirect. Hope that helps?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.