Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to get a Plusnet Mail Only Account

bluewhale
Rising Star

how to get a Plusnet Mail Only Account

hi,

looks like i am going to be kicked/forced out of plusnet even though i have been a loyal customer for 15 years

so email is going to be an issue

i've read on a couple of posts that there seems to be an email only account option

can i have some proper information about how much this is, what the T&C are and what the process is

couldn't seem to find an official page anywhere and searching for 1.06 which seems to be the cost didn't give any hits

38 REPLIES 38
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: how to get a Plusnet Mail Only Account

The cost is confirmed by @Gandalf in this recent post.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bluewhale
Rising Star

don;t mean to be funny or anything, but would like an official response with a proper contract and T&C, that way i won;t get caught out by something

it already from that post seems to have an odd restriction of not being able to upgrade back later, does that mean for example if i return to plusnet i'd then lose the email?

anyway as i say it should be on an official spot somewhere and not in the community blog,shouldn't it?

acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Take a look at the Terms and Conditions under the heading "Cease of Service":-

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/cancellation-policy/

When an account is closed, access to all account features provided by Plusnet will be removed. This includes email, hosted webspace and Member Centre access (including discussion forums and access to the Help Assistant Ticketing system).

It is possible, when requesting a cease of service, to request a downgrade to a mail only package for £1.06 a month instead of full account closure. This will allow continued access to email and some Member Centre features. This option must be requested at the time of cancellation.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Reference returning: what it means is that once down graded to an email only account, it cannot be resurrected to a phone / broadband account again. Wether you kept the existing email account on return (in addition to having a new account) would be a decision for you to make.

Your predicament illustrates well the folly of using an ISP's domain name for an email address. You might want to consider atvthis time obtaining your own domain name and applying it to either your existing or new mail service. Then over time get your contacts to change to using you@yourdomain ... then infuture if you change isp all you need to do is to move the hosting of the domain name and your contacts will not need to be aware that you've moved.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bluewhale
Rising Star

note that i STILL haven't got a definitive set of T&C's on an email only account actually, having hearsay and implied stuff from a short section in the cease FAQ is not enough

as i have said having various posts and a part of a FAQ is not good enough when i'll be entering into a contract with plusnet, surely legally there has to be a statement of the full T & C's on what that account is

so just to be clear i'm not asking for help on what the T&C's are from helpful people on the forum, i'm asking for plusnet to put this up somewhere official, or email me directly if for some reason they are coy about them

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I don't think there are specific T&Cs on email only accounts. These type of accounts don't come with a contract period.

We'll just be supplying you with an email service for a small monthly fee.

If you have any questions about this please feel free to fire them at me and I'll do my best to answer them.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

How about what is included or not such as

Webspace

Use of Plusnet Mail Servers including IMAP as well as POP3

Access to webmail

Existing referral payments

and any account access limitations including inability to revert to a full account

These should be fully documented in the T&C's otherwise how does a customer know what he is getting

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think separate T&C's should be created for such accounts as the customer is still paying PlusNet for a service (Ok a small amount, but still paying nonetheless).

So the customer is clear on what they are getting for their money, and PlusNet can specify what they are going to provide, and to cover themselves to what is allowed and what isn't.

swissbank
Grafter

I'm switching ISP soon and to ensure I can create a PlusNet Mail Only account, I want to know whether I should tell PlusNet I'm leaving first or, place the order with the new ISP first.

Thanks.

acr
Rising Star

It would probably be best to contact Plusnet first to see if they are able to get you a better deal. If you still want to move then you can advise them that you want a Plusnet Mail Only account upon switching ISP.

You might also like to think about getting an email account that is not linked to an ISP to avoid the problem in the future.

swissbank
Grafter

acr, thanks for this advice, appreciated.

I contacted PlusNet a couple of weeks ago and indicated that I might be switching.

They did not seem interested and just gave me a monthly rate which was £5 more than I'm paying now!

Things have moved fast today, and I'm switching later this month.

I contacted PlusNet today to tell them I'm leaving and want a Mail Only Account setting up.

Once I got through to someone who knew what I was talking about, it was done quickly.

There was no mention of a charge - remember that £1.06 pm thing?  It sounds too good to be true doesn't it?

Your suggestion of an email account not linked to an ISP appeals to me a lot.

I've already got a Gmail account that I set up years ago as a backup email address and it works just fine.

Would you mind telling me how I could use that with my new ISP - I've forgotten what I need to do 😔

Thanks,  swissbank

acr
Rising Star

I am not too sure what you mean. If your Gmail "works just fine" then let everyone know your new email address and use that from now on. You should be able to set up an auto forward so that any Plusnet email gets forwarded to your Gmail account. If you want to keep all your old emails then it is possible to upload them to Gmail by drag & drop from your email client. Once everyone knows your new email address then cancel your Plusnet Mail only account.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It's up to you @swissbank.

For the cost though I'd pay it for say a few or say 6 months with a forward as a transitional period, until everyone is happy your old PlusNet address is dead and your GMail is the now the new one to use.

If you want an ISP independent address, and you want a bit of a challenge you could register your own domain and control the DNS yourself. Not the easiest or cheapest option, but quite a learning curve when I did it.

I've moved my domains to Office 365 Exchange hosting and for around £160 per year as I have 4 mailboxes. Frustrating a bit and nerve wracking to set up but once you get it working you will be chuffed.

If you've got a bit of cash and want your own domain in the future I would set up a new domain, keep everything else as it is (so what you have doesn't break).

I had to change from my VPS company to Exchange (as they stopped supporting Windows Server 2003). Server was shut down, they didn't tell me, no RDP access, e-mail now broken. Had to get emergency hosting and move my DNS ASAP.

Set it up on my iPhone and when they started to flow through on the exchange mailbox a few hours after the change I was happy then. I stayed up a bit late until the first few started going through at around 2am then I went to bed Cheesy

swissbank
Grafter

acr, "You should be able to set up an auto forward so that any Plusnet email gets forwarded to your Gmail account."

That sounds very useful.

Now that they've told me that I've got a "Mail Only Account", will I be able to set up an auto forward now from within my current Plusnet WebMail account?

Also, it may be a dumb question but, does the Mail Only Account allow me to receive and, send emails from my Plusnet Web Mail account?

swissbank