cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to download talktalk emails in windows 8

rena
Grafter

how to download talktalk emails in windows 8

I am a plusnet customer. I was previously with talktalk. I recently got a new windows 8 desktop.  I was able to put my plusnet email account into Mail on windows 8. On my old computer (vista)  I am able to still download talktalk emails that are still being sent to me, but I can't seem to do it on my new windows 8. Does anyone know if it is possible to get talktalk messages received in windows 8 and how do I do it please?
9 REPLIES 9
bdvh

Re: how to download talktalk emails in windows 8

I had a similar problem with Metronet email and win Rt.
In it's wisdom Microsoft has decided not to support pop3 on win Rt and win 8.
Is talktalk a pop3 account.
If so Google "pop3 win 8" and you will find many discussions of solutions.
rena
Grafter

Yes it's a POP3
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: bdvh
In it's wisdom Microsoft has decided not to support pop3 on win Rt and win 8.

That doesn't make sense. What email client are you referring to (there are very many to choose from)?
I have several Win8 installs running (*including a Win8.1) and have had no email issues at all.  Undecided
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The Mail app, which comes with Windows 8 and Windows RT, doesn't support adding email accounts that use POP (Post Office Protocol). If your email account uses POP and you want to get it on your PC, here are some options:
    If you want to use the Mail app and keep your current account, contact your email provider and ask if they can change your account to use IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) or EAS (Exchange ActiveSync).

Note
    Google has indicated that as of January 30, 2013, it intends to stop support for new EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) connections in some scenarios.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HPsauce
Pro

Plenty of other apps then to solve the OP's problem  Grin , notably the free download one from Microsoft which used to be "Live Mail" but is now I think called "Essentials".  Wink
Microsoft actually stopped including any mail app in Windows when it got to Windows 7, so it seems odd to include one in W8. Probably doing it to match Apple.  Undecided
(XP had Outlook Express and Vista had it's own Mail program which was similar to OE, but started pushing the downloaded Live Mail)
Having had a quick look at it, and read a bit online, it does seem to be rather basic.  Lips_are_sealed
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

IMAP Rules!! Cheesy
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HPsauce
Pro

I just had a quick look (out of professional interest) at the Win8.1 Mail App.
It DEMANDED that I sign in with a Microsoft account.  Crazy
So I didn't bother and have no idea if it's been updated to support POP or not...  Tongue
bdvh

I don't have win 8. The only Mail app on Rt is the one that came installed. That is one of the reasons I switched from Metronet (pop3 only) to plusnet.
Rumour has it that the upgrade in August may include pop3.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: bdvh
I don't have win 8.

rena (the OP) does though  Wink .