cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hotmail/outlook my friend is fed up with Yahoo & trying to find easiest way to:

silverfinch
Grafter

hotmail/outlook my friend is fed up with Yahoo & trying to find easiest way to:

My friend, who is with BT, is totally fed up with Yahoo (they set her up with a new BT Yahoo which is just as bad), she has cataracts, is nearly 70 & the viewing pane has got smaller & smaller, wants to set up outlook but, there are so many so called links we have no idea where to start. can't help as I have an account & all the links I click on  take me to my account.......help. She is in  dispair. My default account is hotmail.com and I know this is going. I have set up hotmail.co.  (but they invited me to do that) & I keep plus.com for all personal mail. Any advice as to where you go for a direct link to outlook for new account that I can forward to her?
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: hotmail/outlook my friend is fed up with Yahoo & trying to find easiest way to:

The first question is which operating system is she using or is she using a tablet
When you say Outlook - do you mean the one  which comes with office (if so which one) or the new one included in Windows 8
The other, and more basic question, is why is she using webmail
silverfinch
Grafter

Re: hotmail/outlook my friend is fed up with Yahoo & trying to find easiest way to:

I am  not sure, she has a laptop & the original BT email never worked, she never received any replies, hence she set up yahoo. Now Yahoo set a new account with her name then. btinternet,com. This is  not working correctly either so she now to try outlook/hotmail as I have told her you get the full screen with no adverts. I am as ignorant as her so, it is the blind leading the blind. I do find hotmail/outlook very clear,as much as I love plus.net I can't give her that. Please remember her eyesight is appalling & she wants all her emails saved into new account.I wish she had a friend who is more internet aware but she is stuck with me. She has had the laptop for 3 years if that helps
silverfinch
Grafter

I am still here but have lost my replies again..... will keep looking,am just so stupid with computers. Will just pop down & feed the  badgers..... back in 5
silverfinch
Grafter

Cry :'(I am back but still can't find my the reply Im missing
silverfinch
Grafter

Just realised the 'replies' I am looking for are from myself.................just shows you all I really am daft as a..... so ashamed logging off now. Will carry on ploughing through google/bing for a fix to the query, bound to find it eventually. Night Night
silverfinch
Grafter

This is what I found;
You can create a new Microsoft account at Outlook.com, or you can use an address you already have as your Microsoft account.

To sign up for a Microsoft account
Go to the Microsoft account sign-up  webpage.
To use your own email address for your Microsoft account, enter it. If your email provider supports POP3, you can even manage your old address in Hotmail or Outlook.com.
-or-
To get a Hotmail inbox, click Sign up now, and then create a new email address for your Microsoft account.
Provide the rest of the information, and then read the Microsoft service agreement  and the privacy statement. If you agree to the terms, click I accept.

If you used an existing email address to sign up, you'll need to verify it to prove that it's yours. For more information, see Why do I need to verify my email address?
If you have trouble with the characters in the picture, see How do I match the characters in the picture?
silverfinch
Grafter

Embarrassed Undecided :oHope that works for her, should hear tomorrow. Really really goodnight!!!!
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I'm a little confused Smiley
Are you wanting your friend to keep their current email address, but use a different program to read it?  (i..e Outlook to download and read the email?)  Or are you after changing and migrating to a different email address/provider?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

A direct link for setting up a Microsoft account is https://signup.live.com/
That's RPM to you!!
silverfinch
Grafter

Oh thank you will text her, not sure how far she has got. She needs to keep yahoo as all her email documents/accounts between her & care company are on there & I don't think we will work out between us how to transfer them. She just can't read the reading pane as it has so many adverts the reading pane has become very, very, narrow and with her poor eyesight she is getting very frustrated.  Oh I found a video on the web learnmyway, that shows you how to open a new email account, hoping she goes into that as it was very good for us dafties .Not sure if she will try to migrate her old folders as frightened of loosing them completely.
RPMozley
Pro

Another option to think about is to use a dedicated email program on her laptop. It is possible to set up access to her Yahoo emails from within the program, so if you wanted to view the email in full screen you can do and without any ads taking up space.
Also, when you say 'viewing pane' does it appear below the list of emails in whatever folder she is viewing? If it is like that then there is a way to change how you view an email. I'll tell you later how to do that, if it does turn out to be that way.
That's RPM to you!!
silverfinch
Grafter

I have never seen her email account but from what she says these adverts are down either side of her screen, squashing it all into the middle, to make matters worse, she has two hearing aids so when tries to ring for help she only hears part of the conversation especially if it is a foreign accent. Can't much worse really can it Cry
RPMozley
Pro

Ah, I see. Sounds like the usual Yahoo layout with stupid ad column down the right side of the screen. The old 'Classic' Yahoo mail didn't have this annoyance but that's no longer available (or more accurately being phased out).
Seems it might be best to use an email program. Download and install Thunderbird from this address http://getthunderbird.com. Simply follow the on screen instructions to add an email account, by using her Yahoo email address and password. Hopefully it will automatically set things up for her correctly (always a chance it won't work).
That's RPM to you!!
silverfinch
Grafter

You are absolutely brilliant, thank you for your time once again. All the people here are so generous with their time & expertise I don't know why I don't come here first instead of faffing about on  the internet asking questions I don't phrase in the right way to start with, Not normally on the laptop at 1.30 in the morning!! Suppose I feel I ought to try before using other folks time . So once again Kiss I just went & had a look at Thunderbird by typing what is Thunderbird, sounds amazingly clever.