cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help setting up email sending on Mac at University

pushbikes-uk
Grafter

help setting up email sending on Mac at University

My daughter has just gone to university and needs to be able to send mail from her Apple Macbook pro with her plus net email address POP account.  I have looked in the support pages but there doesn't seem to be a guide for setting up SMPT authorisation for Macs just the standard email setup.
Can anyone walk me though this please
14 REPLIES 14
Ellis
Grafter

Re: help setting up email sending on Mac at University

As far as I know, it is not dependant on the computer you use. The SMTP is set up when you are setting up the POP or IMAC details. My server requires separate smtp references for each email address (I have three).
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Your daughter won't be able to send emails through the PlusNet relay, so a different web mail solution may be better,
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pushbikes-uk
Grafter

why won't she be able to use plus net?  Surely she can use her plus net email when she is out and about with her laptop without having to resort to the snow as a snail webmail route and the god forbid hotmail mess.  Also it is not quite the same for each OS.  We have tried setting it up for auth SMPT after deleting and re creating her pop email account in OSX we have put in the user name and password but what I want is someone to say exactly what we have to check or uncheck on the mac or put in each box.  It is laid out for windows but the Mac seems to have been ignored and there is just the STANDARD email setup. 
dvorak

she can use pop3 to get her mail, but you can't use the PN email relays unless you are on the PN network. So you would need to find another relay to send mail.
I'm also a mac user.
Customer / Moderator
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I had no problem setting up my IPod Touch for PN mail  Cool
Is there a difference  Huh
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
dvorak

if you set it up at home there is a lot of difference Wink
Customer / Moderator
PeterLoftus
Pro

I use it at home, Witherspoons, motorway services etc etc  Smiley
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
dvorak

do you just read or send? if send what is your smtp server as that won't be a PN one and working away from home.
Customer / Moderator
PeterLoftus
Pro

I send its set up as relay.plus.net  Cool
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

So why is a Mac different to all the other email clients - this page links to examples of SMTP authentication.
http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/index.shtml
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

You can send from a non-Plusnet connection using authenticated SMTP if the network you are connected to allows it.  I work at Liverpool University and we block SMTP to anything other than the University SMTP servers.  With my laptop and phone I need to use the University servers when connected to their network.  I don't know what other Universities do though.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: pjmarsh
You can send from a non-Plusnet connection using authenticated SMTP if the network you are connected to allows it.

In the Email Setup Guides page of the Plusnet Support Pages, there is a walkthrough for Mac Mail for Snow Leopard which works for Lion too (I've checked).  IF the network you are connected to allows it, you can send email using authenticated SMTP - you just need to do something slightly different at steps 7 and 8 of the walkthrough:
7.  Tick "Use Authentication".
Type in the username and password for your mailbox (which may be different from your Plusnet account details - i.e. the mailbox username may be in the format of PlusnetUsername+MailboxUsername).
8.  Set "Authentication" to "Password".

This thread discusses the fact that this is possible, and also that Plusnet don't offer secured SMTP.
And some networks/ISPs/mobile phone data providers don't allow traffic on the unsecured SMTP port so this won't work for them either.
pushbikes-uk
Grafter

thanks snozboz.  Its the bit where you say "you might have to do something different at 7 and 8" that gets me.  For Windows Live Mail 2011 and Microsoft Outlook 2010 and Mozilla Thunderbird they have an extra link to "send mail from any connection (SMTP Authentication)" but for mac mail they miss that out!!
We have tried the Use Authentication and it isn't working so it sounds like the University (Kingston Upon Thames) is blocking SMPT. 
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I hope I clarified the walkthrough for you!  Smiley
Given that the uni is blocking SMTP in some way, an alternative that I'd recommend is Gmail.  You can use it as is, with a new Gmail address etc.
And if you also want to continue to send and receive email from your Plusnet mailbox, you can set up Gmail to collect email from your POP3 mailbox, and send email through the Plusnet SMTP mail server (making sure you set the port to 25, and authentication to password only, and no encryption/security).  To most people, it will then seem like your email address etc hasn't changed - you'd just be using Gmail as your email program.
To do this, once you've set up your Gmail account and are logged in, click on the gear icon in the top right hand corner, then "Mail settings".
Then in the "Accounts and Import" tab, under "Send mail as", click the button "Send mail from another address" and follow the prompts to enter the details and set it up to send mail using an SMTP server.
Once you've done this, in the same "Accounts and Import" tab, under "Check mail using POP3", click the button "Add POP3 email account" and follow the prompts to enter the details.
HTH.