Did you mean: 

gmail messages not being sent

FIXED
geetee2
Hooked
Fixes: 1

gmail messages not being sent

Hi everybody.

I have just switched from BT to Plusnet, and set up a Gmail account. My BT email is now basic but available for 60 days.

So I am trying to send emails from Gmail but they come back as address does not exist. This is not correct, because I can still send to this address from BT using my BT email address.

Everything else is fine with Gmail, so can anyone help please, hopefully in fairly simple language that a nonteccy can understand.

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: gmail messages not being sent

Where/who are you trying to send to from Gmail?

John
geetee2
Hooked

HI. Another Gmail address

jab1
Legend

@geetee2 That suggests to me that either your Gmail account is not set up correctly (although you do say 'Everything else is fine with Gmail') or you are trying to send to a wrongly addressed recipient.

I do not use Gmail, but those are the only two scenarios I can think of. Does this happen if you try any address as the recipient?

John
geetee2
Hooked

Strangely, I can reply to that address successfully, but still cannot send although the addresses are identical. I have tried from contacts and putting in manually.

I am not sure what you mean by ANY address

jab1
Legend

That unfortunately does not make any sense to me - if you can reply to the address, but cannot send an original message, it suggests to me that something is wrong in the formatting of the address in your original message(s).

I mean - can you send to any other contacts via Gmail successfully?

John
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@geetee2 

FYI, I also transferred from BT to Plusnet - in my case last June. I was also told that I would only have "basic" email, and then only for 60 days.

I was told that "basic" meant that I would only be able to access my BT email from a web browser - not an email client, for only a "limited time", and my family's "sub" accounts would cease to work.

The reality, in my case at least is that nothing seems to have changed:

I still access my BT email account through Thunderbird email client, send and receive email, (just tested to confirm), and my family's email accounts still work.

I think the only real requirement is to keep the BT accounts active by logging in to each account from a web browser regularly, say once a month?

geetee2
Hooked

Yes, I agree it does not make sense. I have just tried another Gmail address and a BT address and both seem to have been sent.

Can you suggest what might be wrong in the formatting, because the address looks identical whether reply, contacts or manual.

Also, I sent to the other Gmail via contacts and that seems to have worked, as I said

jab1
Legend

@Mr_Paul A bit like my old Tiscali mail, which worked until they (TakTalk) closed the Tiscali mail platform down late last/early this year, although I never used it once I had switched to PN - still got loads of spam via them, though.

John
geetee2
Hooked

Thank you for that. I will bear it in mind. 

jab1
Legend

@geetee2 wrote:

Can you suggest what might be wrong in the formatting, because the address looks identical whether reply, contacts or manual.

Also, I sent to the other Gmail via contacts and that seems to have worked, as I said

I have no idea, but to be honest, it does not make sense to me.

@Townman ?

John
geetee2
Hooked

Fix

Hi jab1.

I have sorted it now. I deleted the contact and added from another file and it all works. I can only think there was a fault in the address line, but what I do not know.

Thank you very much for your help. 

jab1
Legend

Good to see it sorted.

John