cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting old messages from server

timbaker

getting old messages from server

HI, I have just had to reinstall windows 7 because was always "not responding"  I seem to have lost all emails from prior to this?  How do I get them back from the server? Can I also get sent messages back?  Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Denzil
Grafter

Re: getting old messages from server

Most email clients are set up using POP3. What this means is that each time you check your email, it downloads the mail from the server and then deletes it from the server. It won't be there to reinstate. The exception is if you have ticked the box marked "leave messages on server", but this will be obvious as the messages will be downloaded next time to check your mail.
What you should have done, of course, is back up all your documents and emails before reinstalling Windows. Which email client are you using? There is a slim chance you might be able to recover them, depending how the reinstallation was done. You might just find that it has created a new profile and left the original one in place with all your old mail, but I wouldn't put money on it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: getting old messages from server

[quote=Denzil]The exception is if you have ticked the box marked "leave messages on server", but this will be obvious as the messages will be downloaded next time to check your mail.
My old POP3 email client had an additional option box that said something to the effect of "Only fetch new emails that have arrived since the last download"
This way you could leave all your emails on the remote server, but have the option to either download all messages, or just the new ones that arrived since last time.
[quote=timbaker]How do I get them back from the server?
In the first instance it might be worth using webmail to visit the remote mailbox location(s), and if there is nothing there then your only hope is if somebody knows how to recover files from Windows 7.