cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

freenetname email on High Sierra: help!

MortonGable

freenetname email on High Sierra: help!

I have been using our freenetname email-only account on my Mac in Mountain Lion without problem. Just updated to High Sierra and I can no longer send or receive emails on the Apple Mail program. I get the message "unable to verify account name or password". Called Plusnet tech support and they verified that I have the right POP3 settings in Mail. They were unable to fix it however. Has anyone encountered this and fixed it? Is it possible to set it up as an IMAP account? Any help gratefully received. I don't want to change our hosting unless I have to!

5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: freenetname email on High Sierra: help!

Welcome to the Plusnet Community forums. Smiley

As far as I'm aware IMAP is available on freenetname but you would have to set up a fresh account in the mail client, you can't simply change POP3 to IMAP. The server name remains as mail.freenetname.co.uk, it just uses a different port (143 instead of 110)

Back to the connection failure. I believe Apple Mail tries to connect to the server automatically and the "unable to verify account name or password" message appears when that fails. You should then enter mail.freenetname.co.uk in both the Incoming and Outgoing Server fields. Then click Sign in.

Apple Mail tries to connect securely which will fail with a "password could not be sent securely" message. You will need to click "Continue" to progress. It's possible this message will appear twice, once for incoming and outgoing connections.

Does that get you connected?

David
MortonGable

Hi David, and thank you! But no... Sad

So not smtpmail in the outgoing server? Currently I have our username (without the @) in the incoming server, and then the freenetname address in the outgoing, plus smtpmail in the outgoing. Both with 'password' selected under authentication (rather than 'none'). This was the setting that worked until I upgraded at the weekend...

I have attached log of what is happening, in case it means something to you!

Lucy

spraxyt
Resting Legend

The log entries show a successful connection to the outgoing server so smtpmail.freenetname.co.uk on port 25 works for you. However the connection is then terminated by a QUIT command where AUTH LOGIN would be expected. I'm not sure why that happens.

However if you have just your username in the incoming server host name field, to me that is wrong. It should be mail.freenetname.co.uk. Your username should go in the Username field which might be on a different page in the dialogue.

David
MortonGable

Sorry what I meant was, under username in incoming I have our username. In outgoing, the full email address is username. Though I have tried toggling both and no combination works.

Forgive my ignorance, but who issues the quit command? And where do I go from here to fix things?

spraxyt
Resting Legend

The QUIT command would be issued by the Apple Mail app when it wants to disconnect from the SMTP server, I'd expect that to be when there are no (more) messages to send.

When you upgraded your mac to High Sierra was that a clean install so that you are now trying to set up a completely new account in Apple Mail?

David