freenetname domain and no emails suddenly

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: freenetname domain and no emails suddenly

Thanks for the confirmation @beeflin

Can you try setting up your emails on a different mail client, or removing the account from Mac Mail and re-adding it?

If you decide to remove it and have had your emails set up using IMAP not POP3 you'll need to backup your emails first.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
beeflin
Dabbler

Yes, I've tried this and the account can't be re-added because the SMTP details are not accepted. Meanwhile I'm still receiving email perfectly well using the same username and password on the IMAP server.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @beeflin 

Can you private message me a screenshot showing the settings you're using for SMTP? 

Also do you have another mail client you can set your emails up on for example a phone or tablet?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
beeflin
Dabbler

Yes, the problem affects my Android phone and my Mac.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @beeflin

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm sorry to see that you're having issues with your email accounts.

I'm not as good eith emails as @Gandalf but I've seen the screenshot that you've sent through, and it looks like some of the details are incorrect.

For madasafish accounts, both the incoming and outgoing server hostname is mail.madasafish.com

Give that a go and let us know how you get on. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Had a quick look. I’d untick ‘automatically manage connection settings’ because with this ticked, Apple will try to use the servers it believes that’ll work.

Unlike emails such as Google where you can rely on the client to manage the settings, you need full control over the settings with a Plusnet or Madasafish address. 

I’d also second @adam945 in using mail.madasafish.com for both incoming and outgoing as the servers.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
beeflin
Dabbler

OK I have tried the following:

"Automatically manage" off.

SMTP server mail.madasafish.com

Port 587

Can't log in.

"Automatically manage" off.

SMTP server mail.madasafish.com

Port 465

Can't log in.

Please note that I have been using relay.plus.net and allowing "Automatically manage" for YEARS with no problems. This is a SERVER SIDE problem, I have not messed with my settings at all and SMTP is failing on Mac and Android simultaneously.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for your response @beeflin

Can you please change the incoming IMAP port to 143, and the outgoing IMAP port to either 25, or 587.

Let us know how you get on.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

If you’re using port 25 or 587 for sending mail, you need to either make sure STARTTLS is enabled for authentication or if authentication is ‘none’ you’d have to type your email address and password in the outgoing mail settings.

To use 465 you’d need SSL/TLS authentication enabled. 

Try the above ^ steps with relay.plus.net and mail.madasafish.com in turn.

Failing this if we haven’t done so already it may be worth us raising to our NetOps team to take a closer look.

Having the ‘automatically manage connection settings’ box ticked will work but I’d say it’s always best not to tick it to avoid the settings changing by themselves. I’ve seen it before though long ago after a device update of some description.

Also throughout this, are you able to receive mail fine?

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
beeflin
Dabbler

OK I've tried everything suggested and nothing works!

Receiving mail via IMAP has been constant, no interruptions at all, the problem is solely with SMTP and affects all our accounts: feetproductions@madasafish.com, emilypreece@freenetname.co.uk and buddhawheel@freenetname.co.uk.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I may be wrong but I’d say the chances of all three of your email addresses going wrong simultaneously on our side would be slim because they’d all be on different accounts unless there’s a problem affecting everybody but that doesn’t seem to be the case based on the fact that there’s no-one else reporting an issue here.

Do you have your broadband with Plusnet? If you do, are your devices connecting onto the WiFi or mobile data?

beeflin
Dabbler

Let's just get my account feetproductions@madasafish.com working first shall we? Keep it simple 🙂 If you could give what you reckon are the correct settings here rather than all the alternatives we've tried I will try them one more time.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

There’s a variety of settings you can use depending on if you want to send via your password or through SSL. Apologies for the oversight on my part earlier but the Madasafish servers don’t actually support SSL so you can either use the settings from Here or mail.madasafish.com with the encryption as ‘password’ then make sure in the SMTP connection settings you type in your email address as the username and your password.

Trying to figure out why the Plusnet servers aren’t working for you now though. The reason I’m asking if you have broadband with us is as far as I’m aware you’d need a Plusnet account to use the Plusnet servers. Have you been with us for broadband and closed your account at about the time your email stopped sending?

[edit]

Also it’s not uncommon to have issues sending mail on mobile data compared to WiFi depending on if the IP address is on a black list somewhere. Although it’s not very often that happens. 

beeflin
Dabbler

The account feetproductions@madasafish.com was transferred to Plusnet by Madasafish many years ago. It has been working almost continuously for all that time, using relay.plus.net. I have never had an account with Plusnet and never needed one.
beeflin
Dabbler

Update: feetproductions@madasafish.com has suddenly started working with relay.plus.net again. Port 587, no security, as it always used to!