cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

freenetname domain and no emails suddenly

FIXED
andyinnorway

freenetname domain and no emails suddenly

I have an old  freenetname domain name and it's stopped sending my emails through since Sunday.  I can login to my plusnet webmail using a browser but i'm not getting emails there either as it's not forwarding them from my domain name email address that people write to.

Help please with how to sort

38 REPLIES 38
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: freenetname domain and no emails suddenly

@andyinnorway wrote:

I have an old  freenetname domain name and it's stopped sending my emails through since Sunday.

Hi @andyinnorway , welcome to the forums : )

There are others here who know more about e-mail issues than I do, but an initial question - have you checked on Nominet to see if the domain name might be overdue for renewal (?) 

Their address is https://www.nominet.uk/ , highlight "Our Services" at the top then you'll see the WHOIS option on the drop-down.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
andyinnorway

yes i checked that

Domain name:
williamsmail.co.uk

Data validation:
Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 10-Dec-2012

Registrar:
Plusnet Plc t/a Madasafish Broadband [Tag = MADASAFISH]
URL: http://www.madasafish.com

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 29-Mar-2000
Expiry date: 29-Mar-2022
Last updated: 19-Mar-2021

yes that's all good and the 20 year old web page I set up is still active, its just the email forwarding that's lost it's link.  apparently techincal support are looking into it.  It's my mum's account, guess it's only plusnet technical support that have access to whatever needs to be checked

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi Andy, I've been having a look into this and I can't see any issues so I've tried to send you an email to see if it bounces back. Not got a bounce back yet but it may take a while to come through. 

In the meantime can you check by going to webmail.plus.net that you're below the 250MB storage limit?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
andyinnorway

i think that's done it thanks - the inbox was stuck at 250mb

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the confirmation @andyinnorway 

Incidentally I never got a bounce back but I'm glad to see you've got this sorted now.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd need help with

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
beeflin
Dabbler

My wife and I have just lost access to relay.plus.net using our freenetname.co.uk and madasafish.com logins. IMAP is still working fine using mail.plus.net. Can anyone help? These problems with the old domain names seem to be recurring every year!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@beeflin

I've checked your domains and they're definitely still registered with Nominet with the nameservers all OK.

Some things to try...

• Do you get a particular error or bounceback when you try to send mail? Does webmail.plus.net work?
  • Can you check you've not gone over the 250MB storage limit for each mailbox?
  • Connect using mail.madasafish.com as the outgoing mail server
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
beeflin
Dabbler

My SMTP has been restored without notice today. This seems to happen every year and gives the strong impression that Plusnet is allowing some kind of SMTP domain registration to expire and only re-registering it after receiving error messages or complaints.

Would it be too much to ask Plusnet to support these legacy accounts properly? They are a source of reputation and future business, and some are used for trading. So all deserve to be treated seriously. It's not as if it's hard work keeping them going.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

@beeflin 

I checked your domains and they hadn’t expired?

Put your domain in Nominet who.is Here and you’ll see the expiry date as well as when it was last renewed.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
beeflin
Dabbler

Thanks, Yes I see our domains (feetproductions.co.uk, sarasvati-arts.co.uk, buddhawheel.co.uk) have not recently gone through expiry and renewal, and neither have feetproductions.co.uk nor madasfish.com. But for whatever reason, our Mac Mail app couldn't log our accounts into Plusnet's SMTP server for several days last week. No idea what that was? We have not needed to change our settings - they just started working again.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @beeflin

I think it'd be hard to say without some troubleshooting to get to the bottom of the issue.

If the issue happens again, I would recommend trying the below

• Do you get a particular error or bounceback when you try to send mail? Does webmail.plus.net work?
  • Can you check you've not gone over the 250MB storage limit for each mailbox?
  • Connect using mail.madasafish.com as the outgoing mail server

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
beeflin
Dabbler

It's not working again today, so I've checked everything on your list.

I don't keep email on the server, so it's nowhere near the limit.

I've tried every type of security, including None, and the error messages are either "Could not open connection to server" or "Your username or password is incorrect".
mail.madasafish.com doesn't work either.

Since the problem doesn't follow me changing anything at my end but has arisen spontaneously - and for all our accounts at once - it's not surprising that changing things at my end doesn't work. Please can you investigate deeper?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @beeflin 

Does webmail.plus.net work?

Really sorry to ask again but this is an important question in helping to get to the bottom of the issue.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
beeflin
Dabbler

Yes, it's working fine.