cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

found a way of avoiding email logons!

kdoug007
Grafter

found a way of avoiding email logons!

hiya  ,  i joined plus net  yesterday  and  although  will be  on line  ,  next week, my  plus  net email is  fine.
i read  some  members  ,  didnt  like    login  on each  time...
TODAY  i  went to the  email  section  and then  added  the page to my  favourites in the  tool bar i have,,
the  result  is  , i  just  click on  it    and  am  straight  into the  email  page,
Roll_eyes
16 REPLIES 16
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: found a way of avoiding email logons!

Welcome to PN and to the forums.
That should keep you logged in unless you delete your cookies (which is a good idea every now and again).
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I always have to logon to webmail - are we talking webmail or the forum here?
drj
Aspiring Pro

BUMP! I have to logon to email if I haven't been on for a few minutes - please advise how I can set it so I stay logged on.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'd guess webmail, have you tried deleting all your cache of cookies and temporary internet files?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
drj
Aspiring Pro

Yes - webmail as I presumed the OP was referring to. My point was that the OP seems to be logged on permanently whereas on all three of my computers (home and work) and using any browser (IE, FF or Chrome) if I close the browser down I have to log on again. However with Googlemail and Yahoo I'm automatically logged on for two weeks or so.Was the OP mistaken or is there a way of setting it so I don't get logged off all the time.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

There has to be something odd about your account/email account setup or Cookies arrangements, maybe Bob can spot something. I can't find anything special about my setup but as mentioned here I don't have a problem with being logged off.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Can I just ask - if you hit your shortcut the next day to get to webmail, are you still logged on? That's the implication of the OP's message. It's never worked like that for me on any computer using any browser.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If I close the browser I have to log in again. I can't find any "keep logged in" option. It's the OP's setup that's odd - not drj's.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Quote from: jelv
If I close the browser I have to log in again.

That would suggest login was controlled by a session cookie (will have to check this later to confirm). It is possible to edit cookie properties with a good cookie manager, so in theory you could keep logged in if cookies are involved.
That's RPM to you!!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: kdoug007
TODAY   i  went to the  email  section  and then  added  the page to my  favourites in the  tool bar i have,,
the  result  is  , i  just  click on  it    and  am  straight  into the  email  page,

I'm wondering if he has some browser add-on that preserves the cookies when you bookmark (but I've never heard of such a thing).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

My reference about his set up being odd is to do with his (mail) account setup/settings -  not necessarily the ones he can see, nor his machine, and more so in the context of his other problems, rather than just what the OP here appears to have stated.
I've just re-read some of the previous posts (and in other threads), as well as done some experimenting as requested.
The way I'd interpreted some, note some, of the previous posts was that he was being logged off when he wasn't doing his webmail, and I suppose the problem is that one tends to skim read other posts and take it to be the same as a previous interpretation.
For example
Quote from: jelv
When you've finished a session in webmail, do you log out or just close the browser window? Updated status not being written back to the server is another possibility.

Quote from: drj
More often than not I'm automatically logged out

is what leads to confusion.
So OK, as jelv has said, yes if I close the browser whether it be IE or FF -  I'm logged off. I suspect the OP in this thread has not expressed himself well, because no matter what I've tried, the least you have to do, is click on the Login button at the webmail front page - we're talking RC here, I've not done similar tests with SM and most tests have been done with FF. In other words I've allowed FF to remember the login name and the password. So the bookmark takes me to the login page and I just then have to click on the login button without any typing.
That is not my normal arrangement, I don't allow my password to be remembered, I consider it a security risk.
Now as I've previously stated, if I have RC open in a tab (and the tab is not closed) and I'm just active/dormant on other tabs, then I'm not logged off, even when it was left overnight. If however I close the tab (not the browser), it seems I can use my bookmark (on a new tab even) and open webmail back at the Inbox where I left it for upto about 30 minutes -  that was on FF (I didn't wait the same time on IE to check).
I hope that now clarifies things. I do consider not logging out might cause a problem as suggested by jelv in the quote above.
I also agree with RPM -  I think that my use of tabs experience suggests it's controlled by a session cookie and personally I don't believe the OP did anything clever with session cookies (or add-ons!).
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

After just checking on my main computer, session login is being controlled by cookies (two to be exact) and can be changed to date expiration from session. Thus allowing "auto login" across browser sessions (not checked 30 minute expiry yet, as that could be different with the way the ID is used - ID expiration would be handled by the server).
That's RPM to you!!
drj
Aspiring Pro

Thank you - so I conclude my set-up is normal.
It's not a great problem on my main machine since that's running Norton Identity Safe and the fields are automatically populated - but I don't have that at present on my laptop although I understand it's now a free download from 2012.
Anotherone
Champion

Thank you - so I conclude my set-up is normal.
Not necessarily in relation to your other issues!