cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emails via WiFi when abroad

peterbarker
Grafter

emails via WiFi when abroad

When I stay with friends abroad they allow me to use their home Wi-Fi. 
Although most things work OK via Wi-Fi I find that I cannot send PlusNet emails.  I usually get around it by sending messages via Facebook or similar.
I am shortly off to visit my friends again, but this time I may need to email some people back home who are not on Facebook.
I will need to send direct emails. 
Would you think that if I log into plusnet webmail and send them that way I should be OK?
The alternative is mobile but data costs soon mount up alarmingly.
14 REPLIES 14
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: emails via WiFi when abroad

Sending via webmail will work fine.  The reason you can't send on your friend's wifi is that you need to send your username and password to the email server if you're not using a Plusnet connection (This will also apply to sending via mobile data as well).
If you post back which email client you use, someone will be able to tell you where to find the authentication settings necessary to use it.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, if necessary webmail will be OK. Just make sure you've set your webmail ID (used for replies) correctly. The default setting may not be the ID you want.
David
x47c
Grafter

See this page for the settings on the RHS of each line to send when using any  non-plusnet connection
http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/

peterbarker
Grafter

Thanks for replies.  Simplest option seems to be webmail.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Authenticated sending using your normal email client works on your home connection too, ie no need to change settings between home and away. So if you want to try it before you go abroad you can.
Webmail remains available as fall-back if needed.
David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Quote from: grecian
Thanks for replies.  Simplest option seems to be webmail.

Actually, configuring your SMTP server connection to use authentication correctly is the simplest all round.
1. You can use your familiar device rather than changing the way you work
2. It should work anywhere you can get a network connection - this is particularly true for mobile phones on WiFi or 3/4G

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
2. It should work anywhere you can get a network connection - this is particularly true for mobile phones on WiFi or 3/4G

Not sure for mobile networks, can you change the SMTP port? Last week I tried to send an email on Three network and it failed. I was using port 465 so when I had time I did some research and it seem Three block this port and 25 and they recommend using port 587. I've just tested this and it works on Three.
goodviews
Grafter

I am in France, on my own line,but Orange block the Plus Net smtp feature. Plus Net told me that last year. I get round it by 'sending as'  another account (btinternet) not blocked by Orange.
itsme
Grafter

Think it's more to with the port then Orange specifically blocking Plusnet. SMTP by default use port 25 and Plusnet from what I can see only use this port. While BTinternet seem to only use SSL which use port 465
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

SMTP by default use port 25 and Plusnet from what I can see only use this port.
No, PlusNet also support standard (not SSL) SMTP on port 587, which is not normally blocked by other ISP's.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

billbo
Community Veteran

Hi
I'm just back from the USA and was unable to send email via rely.plus.net port 25 using the K9 email app running on my Android phone connected to WiFi.
This obviously works great in the UK.
Any suggestion?
billbo
Community Veteran

Quote from: goodviews
I am in France, on my own line,but Orange block the Plus Net smtp feature. Plus Net told me that last year. I get round it by 'sending as'  another account (btinternet) not blocked by Orange.

Hi.
As you have an Orange line - then you should be able to use the default Orange smpt settings in your email client.
If you can set up multiple smpt account in your email client, like "Thunderbird" then you can easily change the default to suit your current location/connection.
Cheers
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Billbo,
1. For authenticated SMTP connectivity, you should use port 587, as many connection providers block port 25.
2. There ought to be no need to configure multiple SMTP servers for different connections.  I use only PlusNET's relay across a number of accounts in many locations.  Generally the only places I have issues are on secure networks where access to external SMTP servers has been expressly prohibited, authenticated or otherwise.
Sometimes though I have found that in some phone cells, my orange phone does not send email..  A mile or two up the road and all is fine again, so that looks like some local cell issues.

billbo
Community Veteran

Thanks for the heads up on Port 587.
Maybe Plusnet needs to make and addendum to the Email guides.
I'm not expecting to take a holiday in the USA again any time soon so unfortunately will not be able to test it  Wink
Anyone else volunteering to do some testing?  Grin
Cheers