cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emails send within [mydomain] are now being rejected as SPAM by plus.com

lyndonp
Grafter

emails send within [mydomain] are now being rejected as SPAM by plus.com

I have suddenly started experiencing issues with inter domain email being rejected by plus.com as spam. To explain the setup:-

I have my own domain e.g. mydomain.me.uk hosted withFreevirtualservers (which now it seems is called Net Nerds) and all mail is forwarded from "mydomain.me.uk" to my account at plus.com

Family members are setup in plus.com as individuals and outgoing mail is through the relay.plus.com

Any mail to "mydomain" is just fowarded to the same name in plus.com.

e.g. bill@mydomain.me.uk goes to bill@[myname].plus.com

tom@mydomain.me.uk -> tom@[myname].plus.com

We are receiving emails from outside of the domain OK but if tom sends to bill then it being rejected by plus.com

example below- (i've changed the domain, names etc)

This all worked fine until I noticed it was being rejected yesterday. I submitted a ticket to the Net Nerds but I am not getting far with them. Their support so far is poor and they just tell me to change my SMTP relay but that is not the answer. Something has changed. I don't whether it is plusnet or the Net Nerds end.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

tom@[myname].plus.com
    (generated from tom@mydomain.me.uk)
    host mx.avasin.plus.net [212.159.9.200]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    552 Spam Message Rejected

Reporting-MTA: dns; uk11.easy-internet.co.uk

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;tom@myname.plus.com
Remote-MTA: dns; mx.avasin.plus.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 552 Spam Message Rejected
6 REPLIES 6
lyndonp
Grafter

Re: emails send within [mydomain] are now being rejected as SPAM by plus.com

Just had this back from Net Nerds

======

I have checked and confirmed that there is no changes made here, to cause this issue. When checking with this error on Plus.net forums, I can see that the reason specifying for this error is either the domain is blacklisted, or the message contains any kind of spam contents. However, I couldn't find any issue with the domain or contents.

Can you please contact with Plus.net support team and check if there is any specific reason behind this block?

=================

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I've got several domains hosted by NetNerd and generally find their support good and very responsive,  usual time to first response is about 30 minutes?

Have you checked the 'Track Delivery' log on the NetNerd CPanel?  This should show some additional data for the failing messages.

I'd hazard a guess that you may need to set up the SPF parameters to allow your NetNerd domain to send mail on behalf of your Plusnet mail accounts in the scenario you describe?  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The host name of the SMTP relay should be relay.plus.net but I assume a typo was made when posting in the forum.
David
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting in touch @lyndonp I'm sorry to see that emails you're receiving to your Plusnet email address from your domain are being rejected as spam. Can you try adding the full email addresses of the domain you're sending from to the white-list/Approved Addresses at http://www.plus.net/email?

If you're still unable to receive mail from your domain, can you add to this ticket the following:

• Full error string
  • The non-deliverable report (NDR)
  • Email headers

Let us know how it goes and feel free to drop us a message here if you're still having issues and once you've provided the above information, and we'll get it picked up and raised to our NetOps team to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
lyndonp
Grafter

Hello Gandalf

I replied to the ticket last night with details as it still wasn't working after adding to the whitelist earlier in the day and on advice from another user's reply I asked Net Nerds to check/add SPF. They told me it would take a "few hours" to take effect but after 4.5 hrs still the same result and the source detail was showing  a mismatch on SPF

However, I have just tried it this morning and it appears to be working from my iPhone setup so I guess maybe the added SPF has fixed it.

I did notice whilst checking settings I have different port settings on my iPhone and also PC Thunderbird client of 25 for relay.plus.net whilst my Android tablet using gmail used port 567 although they all worked OK prior to this current issue.

I wasn't gettig any feedback of a failed message from gmail emails, but did from the Thunderbird client using port 25 which I thought was strange. Any particular reason for that?

What port should they be using?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @lyndonp I'm glad to see that adding a SPF record fixed the problem Thumbs_Up It's probably worth monitoring this and if the problems return we'll then raise this to our NetOps team to investigate further.

Not sure why Gmail's not giving you any feedback from the rejected emails to be honest, but when you're using relay.plus.net the port should be 25 or 587. 

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet