cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emails missing on Ipad2

ClaireH

emails missing on Ipad2

Hi
After 2 hours I finally managed to get my husband's plusnet email account onto the Ipad, but messages that are in his inbox on the PC are missing on the Ipad and instead there were loads of old messages mainly from Plusnet. I sent him a test message and it came up on the PC but not the Ipad
When I went into his account on Plusnet website the test message had not come through.
Also how do I add my own plusnet account as when I try t it says it is already set up. We have same username and password
Any ideas. Please make it as simple as possible as am not very technically minded
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: emails missing on Ipad2

When you download an email to either of your devices, it is removed from the Plusnet server (by default). That is to say, the email is no longer there when your other device (or webmail) goes to look for it.
There are two ways to solve this. The easy way is to set up your email programs ('clients') on all your devices to "Leave a copy (of downloaded messages) on the server".  Each device (and webmail) will be able to access the emails at will. There is a better way, but as usual it requires more knowledge and work!
Hope this helps.
Chris
ChrisL
Rising Star

Quote from: ClaireH
Also how do I add my own plusnet account as when I try t it says it is already set up. We have same username and password

I would advise you to set up your own Mailbox -- not quite the same thing as your own account. You would be able to sign on to this using the format 'username+mailboxname' and a password specially chosen for that mailbox. To do this, go to the 'Manage My Mail' section in the Plusnet Members Centre and follow the simple steps for setting up a new mailbox.
HTH
Chris
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

To add to what Chris said, the Plusnet help guide http://www.plus.net/support/email/newemail.shtml gives comprehensive information on the options available for setting up a separate (new) email address.
David
ClaireH

Thanks Chris
How do I set up my email to leave a copy of downloaded messages on the server
I cannot find it anywhere in settings
Claire Kiss
ClaireH

Chris
regarding the second question.
I have misled you
I already have a plusnet email and when i tried to add it to my Ipad it would not let me as my husband's emails is already on it and we share the same user name and password.
What do i need to do to be able to add my email as well
claire
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
If you get your emails sent (for example) to claireh@username.plus.com, you need to set the username in the mail setup to username+mailboxname (i.e. username+claireh) and use the password for that mailbox rather than the account password. If that is the case please try setting up the ipad in that way and see if that makes a difference - though please remember to change 'username' and 'claireh' for the actual username and mailboxname.
If you get all the email to your husband's address and want to collect this on both the ipad and the PC, you'll need to change the setting on the PC to 'keep mails on the server' and do the same when setting up the account on the ipad. That way the mails will stay there for both devices.
Hope that helps,
ClaireH

OK Matt I  managed to to change the email settings on the PC to "keep mails on the server" however how do I do the same on Ipad, I really don't want to delete the account and start again after it took 2 hours to  get it on in the first place
With regards to putting my own plusnet account onto Ipad i have no idea what my password is for the mailbox so am not even going to attempt it
Claire
ChrisL
Rising Star

Quote from: ClaireH
With regards to putting my own plusnet account onto Ipad i have no idea what my password is for the mailbox so am not even going to attempt it

OK Claire, if Matt is right about how your email is set up, it's no big deal to set a new password for a mailbox (as long as you can log in to the Members Centre using your main account password). In the Members Centre, select 'Email settings' from the left-hand menu -- then click the 'Manage My Mail' icon -- choose the 'Mailboxes' tab -- find your Mailbox in the list and click 'edit' -- enter new password (and don't forget to 'Save changes')!
If you want to, you can add a new mailbox while you're there!
I'm sorry, I have no idea how to change email settings on an Ipad, but I expect there's a help guide on this under http://www.plus.net/support/email/ ....
All the best
Chris
edit to make reply more relevant....
ClaireH

Hi Chris
Thanks for your help
I have solved it
I can now start enjoying my IPad
Claire
ChrisL
Rising Star