cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emails in Apple iMAC Mail are coming in showing as "read". They are not!

FIXED
TonyV
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

emails in Apple iMAC Mail are coming in showing as "read". They are not!

On my Apple iMAC using the Mail app, all e mails are coming showing them as "Read". They are not and should have the symbol that shows them as new unread emails. How do I ensure that mail from Plusnet comes in as it should and shows them as unread?

Thanks

TonyV

7 REPLIES 7
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: emails in Apple iMAC Mail are coming in showing as "read". They are not!

Do you have another device showing the same mail account ?

This seems a bit odd.

I assume the access on OSX Mail is via IMAP not POP3, even if it wasn't I can't see why this might happen.

Last time I had trouble with a mail account on my Mac Mini I had to delete the mail box and re-download all the mail.

Less risky, you could try adding the account again and see if that works OK.

I am the satisfied customer....
TonyV
Dabbler

Mark

I also have an iPAD, but because of the problems with Mail, I am not using that as anything to do with Mail. In fact the iPAD is really only used as a very expensive help for crosswords and news!! The mail accounts have been deleted from it and the only device using Mail is the iMAC. It is imap.

I have rebuilt mailboxes on the iMAC, but that has no effect whatever.

I have deleted accounts and re-created them many times, the result is the same. i.e. the notification this morning of your response, came in as "read", but I hadn't opened it. In fact there were three e mails in this morning and all showed the same, being read when they hadn't been opened. I have also added the Account again, but then I was trying to do it without it going thro' the iCloud, but, again, that appears to be impossible. Every time I take the Apple Mail away from the iCloud, the account goes AWOL from the iMAC. I think it is probably a take over by Apple!!

I tried to get in touch with Plusnet Help yesterday, but that was too much of an adventure and after many minutes of trying to get a question raised with them, I gave up.

I really have no idea whet to do, but it does seem to be a problem that is not only suffered by me, there are many others who are suffering with it.

Cheers

TonyV

TonyV
Dabbler

Fix

I managed to have a chat with the Plusnet Help line and it was decided that probably the best way of resolving the problem was to revert back to PoP accounts. So this I have done except that it can't be done for the @me and @icloud accounts from Apple because they do not accept PoP accounts. The "normal" Plus net account has been changed to PoP and that now appears to be working as the designers expected it to. Unread emails come in as unread and will revert to "read" upon viewing them. Simples!!

I will close this out now.

Cheers

TonyV

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TonyV - That's the best Plusnet could come up with! Sorry but that's hardy a fix that's treating the symptom and not the cause. Ridiculous.

TonyV
Dabbler

So what's your answer then?

TonyV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well to be fair I don't know. I would be keen to know the cause as to why when this client when used with IMAP you're apparently seeing your emails marked as read when evidently they shouldn't be. I only use Plusnet's email via their webmail service nor do I use the Apple Mail client, never was a fan of it, I prefer Thunderbird.

Which you might want to try for yourself; this will either point the finger directly at the Apple Mail client or the Plusnet service, so armed with that information it may either be useful to Plusnet or Apple.

TonyV
Dabbler

I have Thunderbird on my Windows laptop and as you say, it works fine. The interesting thing is, now that I have installed Postbox on the iMAC, and with all the shenanigans going on recently, it works very well. Again, I had to try changing all the settings in Postbox to make sure it was set to show the correct method, but it only did that when I reverted back to PoP.

When I resurrected Apple Mail, that is now behaving as it should when changed to PoP. I now use Postbox as my default client on the iMAC and use Thunderbird on the Laptop.

So, whilst it may not be the right answer, it is at least, working. The real thing that bugs me is that Mail, which has Apple addresses as IMAP and Plusnet as PoP, they are both working fine. So I shall leave well alone now. It is the same for the Postbox settings as well, a mixed bag!!

Cheers

TonyV