cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emailing everyone in a group

76nil
Grafter

emailing everyone in a group

I belong to a woman's group (NWR) and sometimes wish to sent the same email to everyone in the group (about 20 people).  In other email accounts I have used it is possible in 'address book' to put in NWR and enter everyone's address so that when I want to send an email I just have to type NWR and they are all there.  I haven't been able to work  out how to do this with Plusnet so often end up phoning as it is quicker than trying to send 20 different emails!
I also have been able to have a 'folder' with a heading, to keep some emails together so I can easily follow the topic in one place.  Haven't been able to do this either.
Seems silly to set up an email page which can't do everything that others can.  I am not particularly computer literate (I'm 70) but have been able to do the above in AOL, Outlook, Google etc. without any problem.  Should I give up on PlusNet and use one of those?
Your help appreciated; please keep language simple! Thanks
25 REPLIES 25
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: emailing everyone in a group

Why don't you use an email client on your PC rather than webmail and then it would be very easy
76nil
Grafter

Sorry, but I don't understand.  What is 'an email client'?  I have always used either whatever email page is supplied by my broadband supplier or what was set up on my computer when I bought it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There are two main ways of sending and receiving email
One via an email program on your PC - sometimes called an email client
One via the ISP's webmail here https://webmail.plus.net/ for Plusnet
As your question was related to the new address book I assumed it was via webmail
Which version of Windows do you have and which email program is used if you know
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi,
PlusNet's webmail application DOES support group email addresses.
Clicking the addressbook link opens a page with two boxes on the left.  The left most is entitled "groups", the other "contacts" which should show "Personal Addresses" and individual "Contacts" respectively.
At the bottom of the "groups" panel there is a "+" button, click that and set the name of your group.
Then click on the "Personal Addresses" group again.  You can now click individual "Contacts" and drag then and drop them over the new group name.  Do this until you have all 20 names.
Clicking the group name will show the contents of the group.
When you write an email, put the group name into the TC / CC / BCC field - you will be shown a match below the field - click it and the names in the group will be populated into the field.
HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

76nil
Grafter

I have Windows 8.1 and am using the PlusNet email page.
76nil
Grafter

I tried your suggestion Townman but it didn't work for me.  I have groups and contacts in 2 boxes, the 'Personnel Addresses' is highlighted in red.  When I clicked on the + button at the bottom, a box appeared under that, I entered NWR but that didn't highlight and everytime I tried dragging a name over it slid back to 'contacts.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think you will have Live Mail - setup guide is available from here: http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/
You could also install Mozilla Thunderbird - a guide for setting up is also on the linked page.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: 76nil
I tried your suggestion Townman but it didn't work for me. 

Not sure why? I've just tried and I didn't have any difficulties?
Create group and assign contacts to it:

Type in composition window and click the group name when it pops up :

To field expands to list recipients:

Quote from: 76nil
I entered NWR but that didn't highlight...

Did you press 'enter' after typing the group name and can you now see the group listed on the left-hand side?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

76nil
Grafter

No I didn't press 'enter' - now have NWR group.  Thanks
Grafter

Hi,  I have had live chats regarding this issue, but it would seem that 76nil was able to set up a group and send emails to more than a few people.  I am unable to set up groups as I have IE 11 and have been told I need different browser.  I have set Plus Net in compatible mode to no avail and would rather keep browser I have.  My main problem is trying to send emails to more than 3 recipients at a time as I like to share jokes and philosophical emails to my many email friends and relatives.  I am very confused as when I sent an email saying Happy New Year, it sent successfully to over 30 people!  Now if I try to send to more than 4 people I get message 'breached max number of recipients'.  After that, even if I send same email in groups of 3, I'm blocked.  I was advised to go to gmail or similar, or set up an email client.  I already have an Outlook.com address and looked into this but fell at the hurdle of IMAP configuration.  I am by no means an IT expert but can follow most instructions on how to set things up. Any further help would be gratefully received.  It is such a shame that Plus Net Webmail falls so short on flexibility. 
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Newbie
I am unable to set up groups as I have IE 11 and have been told I need different browser.

I'm not convinced that advice is accurate. I have just logged into your account using IE 11 on a Windows 7 machine, successfully created a group and successfully added 18 recipients to it. I even managed to compose an email addressed to the group (you'll find this in your drafts folder). If you're unable to do this yourself, then perhaps you can elaborate on what part of the process causes you problems?
My main problem is trying to send emails to more than 3 recipients at a time as I like to share jokes and philosophical emails to my many email friends and relatives.  I am very confused as when I sent an email saying Happy New Year, it sent successfully to over 30 people!  Now if I try to send to more than 4 people I get message 'breached max number of recipients'.

That definitely shouldn't be happening. The next time it does happen, it's probably worth keeping the message your trying to send in the drafts folder so we can take a look at it and see if we can spot what's wrong.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Grafter

Hi Bob,
I can't find the message now that suggested that using a lesser IE was the reason why I could not form groups, as I have used live chat, the support centre and now the forum, but as you can see from the message below, Richard suggests a different browser.  Also, if you are able to read my past live chats you will see that I have tried and tried to get the 'breached maximum number of recipients' issue resolved.  I'm afraid this has made me doubt the technical knowledge of live chat advisors.  I keep getting the message, no matter what it is I'm sending, just as long as I'm trying to send to a large group or sometimes only 4 people.  I'll put a couple of the emails into the drafts folder, but that suggest that it's the content of the email causing the issue?
Message from support centre:
Thank you for getting in touch.
I have gone in to the email account and sent a contact address into a test group I created and this worked fine.
This would indicate that the issue may be the browser you are using or something on your side of things I am afraid.
I would advise trying with an alternative browser on this occasion.
I have left the test group in the webmail account to show it working with 1 contact in there.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
If you believe that the issue has been resolved, please do not reply to this message. Instead, please ignore the ticket and it will close automatically in 14 days. This helps us increase our response times for all our customers.

Kind regards,
[mremoved]
jim:csa
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Also, if you are able to read my past live chats you will see that I have tried and tried to get the 'breached maximum number of recipients' issue resolved.  I'm afraid this has made me doubt the technical knowledge of live chat advisors.  I keep getting the message, no matter what it is I'm sending, just as long as I'm trying to send to a large group or sometimes only 4 people.  I'll put a couple of the emails into the drafts folder, but that suggest that it's the content of the email causing the issue?

I can't see your chat history but I've just taken a look at the two email messages you've tried forwarding.
I logged in using IE11, navigated to the Drafts folder, then for each email, highlighted it, clicked edit, then clicked send.
Both emails sent without any problems Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Grafter

Hi Bob.  I'm not as lucky as you and I've tried to send an email this morning to a large group to no avail.  I managed to note the Error message code as best I could before it disappeared: [45] qzvTip0044CLSd801zviGd.  This changed slightly every time I hit send for the same email.  I have also taken the names out of the following Plus Net Live Chat transcripts that I received (still haven't received the other two transcripts) :
PlusNet: Good afternoon, I'm ****. How can I help you today?
Me: Hello ****
Me: Am I able to change my username please? It is confusing a lot of my friends and family as it shows as ******* instead of my name when they receive my emails.
PlusNet: Unfortunately we can't change your username. If you're using e-mail you can change the part before the @ symbol.
PlusNet: So you could have *****************
Me: No thanks. I prefer ***********! Also, are there written terms and conditions for use of residential webmail, showing how many emails I can send, etc?
PlusNet: We have an acceptable usage policy, let me find it for you.
PlusNet: E-mail AUP
Me: Thank you Josh, that's helpful. Also, how long does it take for a transcipt of these live chats to appear in my email? I have requested two in the past week and neither have appeared.
PlusNet: They should be sent almost instantly, within 5 minutes.
Me: So are the previous ones lost,or are they stored somewhere?
PlusNet: We'll have them stored on our side, but I'm not sure why they haven't been e-mailed to you.
PlusNet: I'm not sure if it's something I didn't do, but I did give my email address. Are you able to forward them on?
PlusNet: Unfortunately not, I don't have access to them. I can see if I can get a hold of them and e-mail them if I can.
PlusNet: Try putting your e-mail address in again at the end of the conversation, you need to choose the yes option as well as putting in your e-mail address.
PlusNet: Yes, I did that before, but I will definitely do it again. Many thanks Josh. That has been very helpful.
PlusNet: No problem Heather, thanks for your time.
PlusNet: Hi, my name is *****. How can I help you today?
Me: Hi *****, Are youable to tell me if there is a limit to the number of emails a residential account holder can make daily? I'm getting boring with my enquiries on the Plus Net webmail service, but am used to being able to send unlimited number of emails to family and friends before joining you in December.
PlusNet: You should be fine to send as many messages as you would like
Me: As in previous live chats, I am encountering "number of recipients breached" even when sending emails cut into chunks of 3 or 4 recipients.
PlusNet: And this is via webmail?
PlusNet: If so, I would advise you to try a Client like Outlook, Live Mail, Mac Mail etc
Me: Would that mean change of email address? As mentioned in previous live chats, I have just moved to Plus Net and changed the whole of my address book to my new email address at Plus Net so am loathe to go through that again so soon!
PlusNet: No you can continue to use you're Plusnet address with a client
Me: and I would be able to open my emails at any time wherever I am? Used Outlook in the past and could only send and receive but not see previous emails.
PlusNet: That is correct, you can use the account at any time
Me: and see all previous emails?
PlusNet: Yes
Me: Ok, I'll try that. Thank you *****. I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to email providers. Thank you, that is all for now.
PlusNet: No it is okay! Let us know if you need any more help
I realise I am naive regarding IT, but is it not possible for all enquiries departments to be able to look at previous issues from the same customer, so that there is joined up communication and thinking?  It would make it so much easier for all in attempting to resolve ongoing issues?
kind regards