Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email setup and Outlook 2003

materialman
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

email setup and Outlook 2003

I have set up a plusnet address, now I am up and running with Plusnet (having not set one at sign up). Attached is what the 'Manage My Mail' screen looks like with names suitably blurred. email address is in the form xxx@ and destination form xxx@username.plus.net
Does this look OK?
I am completely familiar with Outlook 2003 but followed the guide for setting up accounts in 2003 for plusnet. It logs into the incoming and outgoing servers OK but fails to sent a test message, with the fail message 'check email address'. I also tried sending and receiving manually but this fails too.  Huh
2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: email setup and Outlook 2003

Your default email address is xxx@username.plus.com NOT ...plus.net. Have you given sufficient time for the mailbox to be created since you set it up in MMM?
Since it is your default mailbox you collect mail from it by logging in using your account username and the account password (as used to login to the Member Centre). The POP3 server name is mail.plus.net (port 110) or IMAP imap.plus.net (port 143). Outgoing server is relay.plus.net (port 25 or 587). Authentication is needed if not on a Plusnet connection.
David
materialman
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: email setup and Outlook 2003

Ah typo here!! There's such a strong tendency to type net after plus! Not in the settings though as you can see! I don't know if I gave enough time. I'll try again in a few hours, or tomorrow. Port settings are right.  
Edit 21:54 08/08/13: It works now, so it seems some time was needed.