Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email settings for iphone

greenofashbourn
Grafter

Re: email settings for iphone

Hi,
Yes, this happened on one of my accounts too - I was checking between accounts and corrected it.
Have been extremely busy so not been able to experiment with some of the other settings. Will update when I get chance.
Cheers,
Stuart
martinrich

I'm trying to set up an iPhone with Orange at the moment - the aim is to get SMTP to work seamlessly whether it's on the Orange mobile network away from home, or on the wireless router on PN at home.  At present when sending from a PC we use relay.plus.net with no authentication as we have a fixed IP address.  If I've read this thread correctly, if I use relay.plus.net with my PN username and password then should it work with both types of connection?
Port 587, mentioned further up in the thread, appears to be the port used for Orange's SMTP server but as far as I can tell that wouldn't work when I'm connected over the wireless router and PN.
Martin
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Martin,
The auto setup incorrectly sets the port number to 587.  Just follow the advice given above with the settings after the auto set-up has completed.  You should then be able to connect to the relay server relay.plus.net by any method - Public WiFi, Private WiFi on you home PN service or Orange data network.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

martinrich

Thanks Kevin, this is very useful to know.  The iphone is a bit counterinutive in the way that it handles advanced settings in that you need to set up the account first before you can even see the option to go into advanced settings
Martin
lyndonp
Grafter

Quote from: gingerland
Thanks for the info in this post chaps, all works, sending, receiving, however, I have one problem remaining.I have set up the account on my iphone as IMAP.
When I try to delete mails from my inbox, I receive the error message "Unable to remove message", "The message could not be moved to the mailbox trash".
Do you have any ideas how this could be sorted?
Much appreciated
Mike

I am getting this error on my new iPhone. Send and receive work fine, just cannot delete with the same message. Was there a solution to fix it as there doesn't seem to be a reply to the question?
Thanks.
lyndonp
Grafter

I now have a solution to the "Unable to move message" error when trying to delete an email on the iPhone when using IMAP.
I found these 2 links below fixed my problem.
http://www.webhostinghub.com/support/email/iphone/unable-to-move-message
http://billing.precedence.com.au/billing/knowledgebase/26/Iphone-unable-to-move-message-cannot-delet...
Even though I already had Trash selected as "On my iPhone", I selected another folder first and then re-selected Trash. Make sure you select Done when you go back two previous screens.
Before I did this, for my Plusnet Email account on my iPhone I had:-
Inbox
  Drafts
  Sent
  Spam
  Trash

After doing the above I now have:-
Inbox
  Drafts
  Sent
  Spam
  Trash

Trash
(i.e. I have a second Trash folder at the top level. It is to this new folder that deleted emails are moved.
There is also another solution found here:-
http://www.netchimp.co.uk/webdesign/iphone-ipad-macbook-mac/iphone-unable-to-move-message-to-trash-i...
I have not tried this solution but it may be that this makes Trash go into the original Trash folder underneath the Inbox folder(??)
Anyway, the first solution works for me and I am not bothered that the Trash folder is at the higher level! Grin