cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email send rejected

slaterpg

email send rejected

Email with PDFs and Outlook email attachments are Undeliverable as shown by System Administrator. Removed Outlook emails and was able to send. Have previously received the Outlook emails and just attached them to a new email as forwarded items.

Displayed message says: 

552 pTQN1t0054b7nrF01TQPkC message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.

Any solution advice please

5 REPLIES 5
dplusr
Dabbler

Re: email send rejected

I've been getting this rejection for "spam" too in the last couple of days - but without attachments, and not using Outlook. It doesn't happen for all messages, and the rejected messages are routine plain-text ones, with nothing obvious to say why the system won't have them.

I have not changed my set-up in a year or more.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Sorry to hear you're having problems :smileysad:

That 552 error message is typically caused by our outbound spam filters not liking either the sender (from) address, recipient (to) address, or something in the body or signature of the email itself - commonly an email address, website address or hyperlink that it considers to be 'spammy' or malicious.To help improve the accuracy of our spam filtering, it helps if you can report this message to us by following the steps below.

1. Try sending the message using Webmail (it will fail):

2. Save the message as a draft:

3. Click to go back to your message list:

4. Click the Drafts folder on the left, highlight the email by left-clicking once, then hold left-click and 'drag' the email across to the Junk folder. Let go of the left mouse button once the Junk folder is highlighted:

5. Click the Junk folder on the left, highlight the email as before and then click the 'This message is not spam' button to report the message to us. The message will get moved to your inbox as part of this process:

Wait a short while and try sending the message again. If you're still having difficulties then you will need to contact our Support Team. When doing so, please have ready a brief description of the problem along with the following information:

• Email address you're sending from
      • Email address you're sending to
      • Content of the email (if it's convenient to share)
      • A *full* copy of the rejection message, including the string of characters that's returned e.g. in the example above this would be 'bpq31s0064CLSd801pq4z4'.

If you've tried the above and are still experiencing problems then feel free to drop me a private message using the link below. If you message me directly, you will need to provide a *full* copy of the email you're trying to send including headers. You can obtain this by sending the email from/to a non-Plusnet email address. Instructions on how to view the full headers of the received email can be seen here.

Save

Save

Save

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dplusr
Dabbler

I'm afraid this didn't work. I have two messages that caused this problem (plus an earlier version of one of these that I have not retained).

The first message had no attachment. I copied and pasted it from my local sent folder. It sent fine via Webmail.

The second message did have an attachment. With the attachment, which is a harmless Word document (pretty sure it won't have a virus, but happy to let you have a copy to check), the message would not send via Webmail, but could not be saved to draft either. After I removed the attachment, I could save the message and also send it.

I then replied to all and re-attached the document. It sent fine.

This is really erratic behaviour, to state the obvious.

Thanks for your attention.

Edit: I've just noticed your last message about sending to a non-PlusNet address. That won't work. All the target addresses, for both messages, were non-PlusNet. However, I can generate full messages directly from my sent folder, so I'll do that.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@dplusr wrote:
The first message had no attachment. I copied and pasted it from my local sent folder. It sent fine via Webmail.

Can you send this message via whatever email client your using now too? The spam detection algorithms are dynamic i.e. a false positive that's been considered spam one day may have had it's status corrected a day or two later.

The second message did have an attachment. With the attachment, which is a harmless Word document (pretty sure it won't have a virus, but happy to let you have a copy to check), the message would not send via Webmail, but could not be saved to draft either. After I removed the attachment, I could save the message and also send it.

Did you get the same 552 error in Webmail?

Edit: I've just noticed your last message about sending to a non-PlusNet address. That won't work. All the target addresses, for both messages, were non-PlusNet. However, I can generate full messages directly from my sent folder, so I'll do that.

The canned response I provided was tailored to those have difficulties sending 'to' Plusnet addresses. I've altered my post now so it's specific to those having difficulties sending.

Seems the best thing to do next time this happens would be for you to provide me with a copy of the message over PM and I'll scan it for anything that might be causing issues. In doing so, I would need to know the address you're sending from and the address you're sending to. I'd also need visibility of any attachments you're trying to send.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dplusr
Dabbler

Yes, I can send it now (to my own GMail address, can't keep resending to the proper recipient!)

In Webmail, as described, the only problem was when I included the attachment that went with one message. It wouldn't send. I assume it was a 552 error, but the codes aren't obvious in Webmail.

I understand the difficulties of identifying spam reliably, and I know about reputation systems and the importance of blocking outgoing spam, but it's a bit of a concern if random messages are going to refuse to go periodically. I rely on email for communication for all sorts of purposes, as do many people of course.

Will do if it happens again - if I can find this thread!