cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email only account

sinewave
Grafter

email only account

Please can anyone confirm the process I need to go through to get my broadband account downgraded to an "email only" account.

I will be leaving plusnet to virgin media but I very keen to retain the use of my plusnet email address.

I have tried calling CS about this but all I have recieved in confirmation is that my broadband service is being ceased on 2/3/2020. I replied to support ticket asking for confirmation but it came back saying...

"Email is a Value Added Service as a part of your Broadband Subscription. Since you are transferring your broadband away, you are no longer entitled to have the email service provided by us."

That cannot be right can it?

my second reply to that has gone unanswered. 😞

The only reason I'm leaving plusnet is for faster broadband - I'm on a very long line from the cabinet and virgin fibre is my only way to go. I'll be sad to leave - I've been with plusnet (once force9) since 28kbps dial-up!

28 REPLIES 28
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: email only account

This problem comes up many times on broadband forums. When you leave PN or its parent BT you leave your email with that provider, though BT may let you keep it for £7.50 pm. Far better to move to an independent provider and you can switch ISP without email problems. Most use Gmail though I resent Google spying and pay about £14/year for Fastmail Basic Lite -- good value and works perfectly past five years. Better copy all your PN emails unless you use Thunderbird which stores them all for you and can be backed up on hard disk or flash drive.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

It is possible to downgrade a Plusnet contract to an email only service that is currently free of charge.

It requires staff input though so hopefully one of them will pick up on this post soon.

sinewave
Grafter

Many thanks for your replies. It's great to know the email only account is truly a "thing". I was starting to worry. Email addresses are shockingly important aspects of our lives!

It would be great to have PN staff check my account notes and make appropriate actions where necessary - hopefully they'll spot this post.

if not I guess I'll face the call queues again and be a bit more armed with knowledge - email-only do exist!

ps Brownie - what the heck do you mean in your sig about ISP's using lithium?? Is that the batteries in the data centre maybe? [scratch-head emoji]

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

It's referring to the software the community runs on, now known as Khoros,  not the chemical element!

It's a pita at times 😁

sinewave
Grafter

Aw, I was kinda hoping a member of staff would have come by now. My ticket about this is still waiting for a staff response despite me adding "more info".

I just want to know what will happen when my broadband is ceased on 2/3/2020. Will I automatically be put on to email-only account as I requested during a CS phone call. - or do I have to do something? I was told the email only account could not be created before the cease (obviously) but I am just wondering if I have to contact Plusnet after the plug is pulled - or if things will get sorted without my call.

I am just paranoid about loosing my email address I guess!

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

As suggested, I think you really need to open another email account be it with Gmail, Hotmail, or Fastmail as I have done. My tech is limited so there may be some utility that can copy emails and contacts list to a hard drive. If it means a new email addy, so be it. Above all, do it before your closure date or you risk losing the lot.

I remain pleased with PNet but every time there is significant change -- ie new contract, or even renewal -- they have screwed things up in some way. The staff do their best but basically there aren't enough of them, especially now we are enjoying the new billing system  😕

sinewave
Grafter

Thanks Longliner, I hear you about another email account.

The fact is I own two domain names and I currently run six active email accounts. I am not worried about loosing emails - I have a robust backup system. I am not worried about being unable to send email because I have plenty of accounts  to choose from. What I am worried about is loosing my plusnet email address. It has been my primary address for nearly as long as the plusnet brand has been going. It is my primary address for registrations and subscriptions etc. 

I have just checked my password database and I use my plusnet email address in 86 accounts, from banking to software registrations.

On top of that there are two more members of my household who also use the plusnet email account for a whole heap of registrations and subs.

There was a time you could just downgrade your account to "dial-up" and keep your email address that way. I suspect that sort of account has long gone heh.

Anyways, I am sill holding out for an email-only account and hopefully I wont need to spend days trawling all my online memberships and subs changing addresses!

Many thanks for the advice though 😉

sinewave
Grafter

I should have checked my email before the forum.

I see my support ticket has been answered. I am now reassured that I will get an email-only account after the broadband stops.

Yay!

(Can't tell you good that feels heh)

Well done plusnet.

Claire0782

I am in the same boat as you with wanting to keep mine and everyone in my household’s email addresses but am having a nightmare with it! I was told I could be transferred to an email only account when I switched providers and have a ticket open confirming my broadband would stop on 27/02 with a note for internal saying to set up as email only. Plusnet said there would be a brief outage and then my email should be back to normal.

I really should have asked how long they define as “brief” though as I have had no email since lunchtime on Thursday and can no longer log in to webmail. The ticket is still awaiting update from Plusnet. I called again yesterday and was put through to Technical Support who told me they have put it through to the correct department to be actioned but I need to allow 72 hours for my request to be completed. I have set up a Gmail account in the meantime but am worried I am missing important correspondence. I don’t want to go and change my email address with all the sites I use it on if I am going to get it back my Plusnet one. My daughter is applying for jobs at the moment and I hate to think of her missing out on any replies.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @sinewave apologies for the delayed staff response. I'm sorry for the concern we've caused on the back of the advice we initially provided on your support ticket 199091659. I'm glad to see we've got this sorted in the end and your account has been reactivated to a mail only one and your email addresses re-created as part of the process today.

Can I check with you that everything's working normally now as it was before your account was cancelled?

Thanks also for your loyalty btw and all the best with Virgin Media!

Hi @Claire0782 I'll respond to your thread shortly once I've had a look into this for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Claire0782

Thank you Gandalf, I called again today and my email appears to now be working. I don’t have any emails since Thursday though, not sure if they will have bounced back to the sender.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Claire0782 

I'm glad to see you've got your emails working now. Unfortunately those emails would've bounced back to the sender however I believe we may be able to see some info about what had bounced back. I'll get back to you tomorrow to confirm.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Claire0782, I've received confirmation that I'm afraid any emails you were sent during the time that your mailbox wasn't set-up on our systems would've bounced back and there'd be no way of us finding out the details of this as nothing had come through to us as the address didn't exist. Apologies for any inconvenience caused by this.

Let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with though.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sinewave
Grafter

Hello Gandalf,

My account has indeed been moved to "email only". Unfortunately most things are broken.

My own email address was using the catch-all inbox. Catch-all was switched off as default so I couldn't receieve email untill I switched it on in "manage email". I can now use my address on webmail and Apple Mail client.

There a few other mail boxes household and special use. Non of those work. There is no way to access them with webmail or a client. using standard form of username+mailboxname and usual PW to login to webmail just gets "login failed" message.

Looking at the mail boxes under "manage my mail" plusnet website, one of the mail boxes has had a change in name! The letters "as" have been placed infront of mailbox name - instead of "name" it is now "asname"!!

I note that simply logging in to access account area there is still "an error has occured" and a message about my account being closed down.

My sister is going through the exact same trouble right now - she is moving to virgin to but needs to reatain the plusnet email addresses her family rely on.

Nightmare.