cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email forwarding from 123Reg/Host Europe

Kwak
Rising Star

Re: email forwarding from 123Reg/Host Europe

How my post of yesterday is deemed to be offensive in any way is beyond me Angel My point, such as it was, was that this thread was about 550 errors and incoming email being blocked and (as also indicated immediately above) it seemed to have taken went off at a tangent to outgoing email from a domain being marked as spam by those at the other end. This is AFAIK nothing to do with that and nothing to do with original problem, nobody else was complaining about that. The incoming problem I AM interested in as I suffered from it and it was very worrying.

Politely saying that this perhaps should have been moved to another thread was not meant to be rude, other forums may split things off as a matter of course. I'm glad shermans has had that problem fixed, any problem fixed is good! That's all, no big story, just a passing comment it's good not to have discussions diverge and to keep problems separate, no anger, didn't mean to annoy anyone ..!

EDIT: (I.e. It wasn't meant to be offensive and shouldn't be interpreted as such) Shocked

dallday
Grafter

Okay - the problem is I think the two issues were related and someone somewhere turned something on that stopped some incoming emails, supposedly only from 123-reg, and also hit some outgoing emails.

Problem was lack of a clear message from plusnet saying what they had done. (maybe they don't really know Smiley )

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@dallday wrote:

Okay - the problem is I think the two issues were related

They weren't, they were two distinct issues

Problem was lack of a clear message from plusnet saying what they had done.

I take your point, but it's such a fine line very few customers would understand what it is we have done, often more people misunderstand it than understand it. Then we get heaps of questions about how, and why, and what if or requests to explain how it all works. It's should be enough to say we've fixed the issue or we've lessened the impact of it. 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

JonoHThey weren't, they were two distinct issues

I am sorry but you have NOT been part of my extensive direct, off-line discussions with Plusnet managers and engineers over the last nearly three weeks, and you have no grounds to make that statement which is fundamentally incorrect.

Plusnet have acknowledged that the two are associated, and that the sending issue arose as a consequence of the original forwarding problem and the erroneous SPF upgrade.  One of the causes may have been that sent emails inherited spam tags from a forwarded email to which a response was being sent.  At this stage, the problem sadly still persists, despite my earlier optimistic report, and discussions still continue between Plusnet and Microsoft engineers to try to establish what has gone wrong.  Plusnet have already identified a problem with one of the servers which they corrected and which temporarily seemd to have solved the problem, but unfortunately further tests have proved otherwise.

The relavance of course to my original postings regarding the 123-reg fault is that I am almost certainly not alone in sending responses to emails forwarded from 123-reg which are not gettng through due to the historic SPF association, but others may simply not have been allerted.

JonoH
Hero

@shermans wrote:

am sorry but you have NOT been part of my extensive direct, off-line discussions with Plusnet managers and engineers over the last nearly three weeks, and you have no grounds to make that statement which is fundamentally incorrect.

I'm really sorry if you've been misadvised by some of the call centre agents and their team leaders and I'm sure they were not intentionally misleading you but as the person who drove the incident that caused us to implement SPF, and the person that's been liaising daily with our Email Platform Owner about the current mail issues I've become somewhat of  a subject matter expert on our email platform and it's ongoing issues and so I'm almost uniquely placed to make that statement.

Plusnet have acknowledged that the two are associated, and that the sending issue arose as a consequence of the original forwarding problem and the erroneous SPF upgrade.

It didn't, it happened because of the way we check if domains are valid, we incorrectly marked domains from 123Reg as invalid and that's what caused the problem.

This was caused by a change we rolled to mitigate the problem some customers were experiencing that presented as a false rejection, to a valid sender domain.  

At this stage, the problem sadly still persists, despite my earlier optimistic report, and discussions still continue between Plusnet and Microsoft engineers to try to establish what has gone wrong.

your problem still does persist, but it's not linked to the 123Reg issues.

Plusnet have already identified a problem with one of the servers which they corrected and which temporarily seemd to have solved the problem, but unfortunately further tests have proved otherwise.

This wasn't the cause of your issues, but you're right we did find that one of our servers had been rate limited by Outlook, but they've corrected that now. 

The fact remains that you're still having issues (I've read the history on your account) and I'd really love to get this resolved with you but we don't believe the problem is our end as Outlook are only marking your emails as spam and not from our other users. As such we believe that the best method of support for you is to raise this directly with Outlook and if they require any info from us I'd be happy to supply it to you without you having to contact our support teams.

Jono H
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

JonoH

Community Gaffer 

I am sorry but I have absolutely no idea who you are; your name has never been ementioned on any of the communications nor in any of the daily telephone conversations made to me personally by Plusnet to monitor this.  They have been extremely diligent in trying to resolve it for which I have expressed my gratuiitude, but your name has never come up !  I simply do not know who you are.

Anyway, here is just one of the confirmations which came from Plusnet engineers, as a resut of this very thread  on this forum which is how the issue was first raised in the first place:

"As we discussed, we have received a response from Outlook.com, one of our IP addresses was indeed on their 'naughty' list. They have now removed the block on the IP address, and we're hoping that this will resolve the issue."

So please kindly do not tell me the issues are not associated, as the investigations only followed as a direct result of this thread on this forum, and only as a result of the 123-reg forwarding problem due the errant SPF update.  The SPF error lead to the Plusnet IP address through which my mails were sent being blacklisted.  Prior to the SPF issue, I had never experienced any difficulty, and I have been with Plusnet for twenty years, from the days of dial-up and later BT Home Highway!

If you wish to continue with this, I recommend that you do so off-line by private message to avoid distracting other contributors.

JonoH
Hero

I'm happy to continue this off-line, I believe the CSC advisor you were speaking to you has contacted you since I spoke to him earlier and advised you that these issues were not linked.  I genuinely want to get to the bottom of your issues and will be available for whatever support you need via PM.

I just want to confirm publically for the avoidance of doubt, so that other users impacted with email issues can rule it out

• There's no lingering impact following the launch and subsequent rollback of SPF
  • There's no blacklisting of our outbound servers by Outlook.They did find they'd accidentally rate limited a server, that's been resolved.
  •  We're unaware of any lingering problems with the 123Reg domains

I'll now ask the moderators to close this thread as it's been resolved and we've strayed off-topic.

Jono H
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been locked at staff request.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine