cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email forwarding from 123Reg/Host Europe

user23

Re: email forwarding from 123Reg/Host Europe

Could Plusnet simply provide an official update, please?  It seems you acknowledge a problem and it may or may not have been resolved.  Could you provide your customers with the following information...

Has the fault been identified?

What, specifically, was/is the fault?

How has/will it be corrected?

What's the estimated timescale?

We're not interested (I shouldn't imagine) in blame, we just want to know the above details so we know what action to take both now and in the future if it's likely to recur.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@user23 wrote:

Could Plusnet simply provide an official update, please? 

Absolutely, here's the official update that we provided on the 20th March

@JW wrote:

Hi All.

There should be no need to make changes to your spam filtering. Forwarding, at least as far as we can see, looks to be working normally again after the issues encountered at the weekend.

I have one of my domains on 123-Reg that is set up to forward into a mailbox on my .plus.com email address and this is working as expected again. I've just double checked and sent a number of emails through the redirect and they have all been received.

If anyone is still seeing issues, and has a rejection message dated after midday on the 18th, then please get in touch via the usual methods so that someone can take a look.

Since that time there have been no further problems with this, customers still reporting issues have all, so far, been a different issue entirely.

It seems you acknowledge a problem and it may or may not have been resolved.  Could you provide your customers with the following information...

Always happy to, wherever we can, we do not provide specific details usually though.

Has the fault been identified?

Yes

What, specifically, was/is the fault?

We never really go into specifics, but we'd rolled a change to fix another issue that customers were experiencing and it was related to that change.

How has/will it be corrected?

We reapplied the change, now the issue we were trying to fix is resolved and it's corrected this issue.

What's the estimated timescale?

It was fixed yesterday at lunchtime. (12pm)

We're not interested (I shouldn't imagine) in blame, we just want to know the above details so we know what action to take both now and in the future if it's likely to recur.

It's absolutely our fault by the looks of things, the problems unlikely to happen again but if it does there's not much that you can do.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

I am sorry but I have to diasagree.  Not only is forwarding not working still, but now SENDING new emails does not work either for me.  I suspect that recipients' email systems have already tagged my email address as "SPAM", thanks to Plusnet who have yet to apologise to me, by the way for the mess they have caused.

How therefore can you possibly say that "Since that time [Monday] there have been no further problems" ?  Of course, if emails are not being received, it is difficult to know that they have not been received, as I do not have a magic wand.  Those that I have been told about just disappeared down a black hole.

I posted 123-Reg's response to my ticket yesterday.  They have just come back and given permission for me to post on this Forum how to add an SPF to your domain :

"Adding an SPF record to a domain is not something very difficult.  In fact, we actually have a step by step article that shows you how to do it: 

Hope this helps."

lladoogad
Dabbler

I added spf as per insructions and my gmail work round stopped working!

JW
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 24

@shermans 

If you're also having problems sending email out, then I'd ask that you raise that to our support team on your account. Detailing the addresses that you're sending from and what, if any, error message you're getting. Then the relevant people can look at that for you.

@lladoogad 

I'd suggest that you check the record you've created, it looks like 123-Reg have suggested that a hard fail rule be applied. The -all at the end means that any server enforcing spf will reject messages that don't come from one of your specified sources. This can break some mail forwarding systems.

Jon W
 Plusnet
atb48
Grafter

@shermans wrote:

I am sorry but I have to diasagree.  Not only is forwarding not working still, but now SENDING new emails does not work either for me.  I suspect that recipients' email systems have already tagged my email address as "SPAM", thanks to Plusnet who have yet to apologise to me, by the way for the mess they have caused.

How therefore can you possibly say that "Since that time [Monday] there have been no further problems" ?  Of course, if emails are not being received, it is difficult to know that they have not been received, as I do not have a magic wand.  Those that I have been told about just disappeared down a black hole.

I posted 123-Reg's response to my ticket yesterday.  They have just come back and given permission for me to post on this Forum how to add an SPF to your domain :

"Adding an SPF record to a domain is not something very difficult.  In fact, we actually have a step by step article that shows you how to do it: 

Hope this helps."

I'm not sure that the Reg123 SPF guide is sufficient, as it doesn't seem to include the use of PN's outgoing relay.plus.net server, which many of us understand has caused SPF creation challenges! Also one can add Google as a potential outgoing mail server for the Domain IP.

The SPF that I set quite some time ago is and entered via the Advanced DNS Panel at Reg123:

v=spf1 include:madasafish.com include:_spf.google.com ~all

As I've reported my mail flows appear to have been restored, and can forward to PN and also GMail

Your SPF can be tested via MxToolBox's SPF Record Lookup and, if necessary, created with their spf generator

shermans
Pro

If you're also having problems sending email out, then I'd ask that you raise that to our support team on your account.

Can you please explain how I raise that to the support team ?  As I explained above, the Question was closed without reference to me and trying to find a method of raising a new ticket in the thicket Plusnet has built to hide the old "raise a ticket" facility is frankly beyond me.

Furthermore, this is completely at odds with previous advice from Plusnet support staff on this Forum which says you have special "bots" which trawl this forum, chats, telephone calls and social media to consolidate any issues.

OllieC

Plusnet Help Team 

We have a system which pulls the messages and posts into one place. However, it puts these into chronological order and new responses from the same customer are placed at the back of their contact queue.

If we only had one channel I believe this would cause a lot of dissatisfaction as not everyone uses the same forms of social media. I myself don't use twitter but I do use Facebook. We have some customers who use all platforms but posting the same question across platforms such as community, Facebook and also Twitter at the same time or staggered slows down the response times as we have to deal with each one individually. It also raises the chances of important information which we may require to assist on specific matters coming through spread across these platforms, resulting in us taking a longer time to collate and digest these. I understand that this gives credence to you point about a singular contact method - however as I have mentioned above, this is something which ultimately would cause more problems than it solved.

If a customer or potential customer is in need of help or has a query, one single contact on a platform of their choice would result in a quicker response if the username is provided off the bat via PM (Facebook) , DM (Twitter) or a post/thread on community (community we can get the username from the profile page). Secondary replies are often required if the username is not initially provided, however, this is taken into account as we understand sometimes people forget/don't know to provide their username.

So please help me understand, because clearly the left hand at ‎Plusnet does not know what the right hand is doing !  One minute you tell us not raise tickets but to use Facebook and Twitter and this Forum, the next minute you are asking me to raise it with the Support Team, which I have already done via this Forum supposedly !.. I don't do Twitter; I don't do Facebook, I don't do social media of any sort and Tickets are unavailable.  All that leaves is this Forum.  

I am doing what Ollie C asks, namely :

"If a customer is in need of help or has a query, one single contact on  post/thread on community would result in a quicker response"

Ollie C says that we should not use more than one platform, and the last thing in the world I would want to do is to dis-regard his advice.  But I have already raised this on this platform, and naturally I would not wish to inconvenience Plusnet by using another platform for this.  Please therefore can you explain in words of one syllable to me, who is obviously an idiot, how I "raise it with the Support Team" ?

Thank you.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @shermans 

It is the case that one message on here is easier for staff to reply to that multiple posts / threads, i do not differ in that opinion from Oli in any way. 

When it comes to "Raising this to the support team" - I believe that @JW meant the team who was dealing with this and corresponding via account tickets. As the ticket on your account has been closed for one reason or another I have opened a fresh one for you here

Kind Regards, 

MoR

rooky
Grafter

I cant even send emails now..

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.      

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* used@harrisoncameras.co.uk

Reason: A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server ?? responded with: ** used@harrisoncameras.co.uk ??:?? This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server .

Reporting-MTA: dns; avasout03 [84.93.230.244]
Received-From-MTA: dns; [10.0.1.190] [80.229.224.101]
Arrival-Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 11:02:01 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822; used@harrisoncameras.co.uk
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.1 <used@harrisoncameras.co.uk>: Recipient address rejected: Please see http://www.openspf.net/Why?s=mfrom;id=andrew%40arookes.co.uk;ip=84.93.230.244;r=mx02-wkf.ct.co.uk

Kwak
Rising Star

"Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 " - The error I and many others are complaining about. It's not 123 reg to blame, it's plusnet.

What are we the customer supposed to do about this? I can't see a support ticket system any more so all we can do is comlain on this forum, people have been doing this for months, and nothing seems to improve which is getting frustrating I'm sure for the people involved Sad In fact was the first time this was raised not over a year ago. Another thread started on this is from 2017.

An unreliable email system is in many ways worse than having NO email, you've absolutely no idea how many emails to you are being bounced due to a known issue. That's the really frustrating part.

Is there no way their end they can just disable the "email domain appears valid" check that looks to clearly be randomly failing for both sending and receiving email??? Maybe make this a setting for people who have domains?

shermans
Pro

MasterOfReality

Plusnet Help Team 

Thank you for opening another ticket.  I have raised this on the ticket but I have been asked for details of headers of failed emails.

My Outlook properties do not show any headers for sent mails, only for received mails.  And of course without having second sight, I cannot obtain copies of headers which have not been received by addressees !

So what do I do next ?  Again today, I have been told that emails I sent last night have not been received, so the problem has definitely not gone away.

rooky
Grafter

In all honesty I think plus net need a new email platform and get it working correctly employ someone who knows what they doing
shermans
Pro

rooky

rooky

I am afraid that you are not "on message" - you have been told that the system was fixed on 18th March.  Of course there have not been any more problems since then. Plusnet staff reported here yesterday :

"Our mail platform owner  has confirmed that changes were made on 18/03/2019 around 12AM+. Since a change was implemented, he has not had a valid example of the same issue. "

Are you saying you want a "THIRD" vote on this before 11th April ?  

Kwak
Rising Star

If it has been fixed, then that's great! That's all we ask. The letter from my bank that I received today saying the couldn't contact me via email is dated the 18th, so there is therefore possibility it was fixed just after they tried.

That letter for me was just a reminder how important emails for many customers (including me) will have been bounced.

lladoogad
Dabbler

It's not fixed!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.