cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email forwarding from 123Reg/Host Europe

balvack2
Grafter

Re: email forwarding from 123Reg/Host Europe

I seem to have lost the ability to edit posts, so here are links to the other threads for the benefit of Plus support folks ... @MasterOfReality @LaurenB  @Optimatts @RandallFlagg  @OskarPapa @adamwalker @Gandalf 

@balvack2 wrote:

And are you also monitoring these threads that refer to the same issue (and there may be others too?)

Email/Undelivered-mail-I-believe-this-is-the-only-way-to-raise-a

Email/Email-Error-550-Urgent

Email/Undelivered-mail-I-believe-this-is-the-only-way-to-raise-a/td-p/1622401

Email/Email-Error-550-Urgent/td-p/1622466

Email/Problem-with-emails-forwarded-to-Plusnet-by-123-reg/td-p/1622836

BTW, we're all still waiting for an update.

ETA another one

Email/Email-issues/td-p/1622154

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks for the posting.  You have, I am afraid, misunderstood.  I am NOT using the catchall facility.  As I explained, each of the 200 emails addresses is a separate distinct email address such as supplier@mydomain.co.uk.  Each address is then individually forwarded to my Plusnet email address whereI download it with Outlook.  So for instance, if I had regular cont with you - especially if you were a business, you would email me at mr.wright@mydomain.co.uk which would then automatically forward to me@accountname.plus.com.  That is why it would be necessary to individually change the forwarding address of each of the 200 addresses.  If it had just been a question of a catchall, it would be different.

The whole object of having individual email addresses for each contact is a)if I get spam from one of them, then I can immediately trace where the vulnerability / culprit is.  b)I often have additional forwarders for one contact - for instance, my wife's email address if the contact is one which is relevant to both of us.  c)If i cancel my account with a contact, I can just blackhole him d)If a contact is a local French business, then I can have a second forwarder to my ISP in France where I have a house..

I jope that answers your question clearly :  No, I am not using catch-all at all.

shermans
Pro

Boxersoft

Thanks for your posting.  I do get your point and when I get the time I will follow your suggestion, but it would mean changing 200 individual addresses.

To be honest, I have been with Plusnet since the beginning - 20 years, and I do admit to having thought about changing ISP due to bad customer service - as some readers will know, I even took them to Court and won £300 for total loss of broadband service for a week which the Court agreed with me was unreasonable under the circumstances.

But what has always deterred me was the prospect of changing 200 email forwarders !  Your suggestion would make it so much easier in future if I can find the time to bite the bullet and change the 200 email addresses.  No doubt some of them could do with a bit of pruning anyway, and I could take my time and do it bitt by bit.

So thanks for the sugggestion.  I will make a start when this current fiasco is over.  I think Brexit must be contagious !

shermans
Pro

I am sorry but I have to diasagree.  Not only is forwarding not working still, but now SENDING new emails does not work either for me.  I suspect that recipients' email systems have already tagged my email address as "SPAM", thanks to Plusnet who have yet to apologise to me, by the way for the mess they have caused.

atb48
Grafter

@MisterW wrote:

Reading @shermans  post it he appears to be using the ''catch-all' forwarding facility provided by 123-reg,  rather than forwarding individual email addresses. Am I correct ?

Are other people who are still not receiving forwarded mail using the same method ?

I suffered the total mail flow loss over the weekend, obtained no useful help from Reg123, so tweaked my 123Reg to PN forwarding.  Initially I could only set specific names, the "catch-all" only raised an error and would not set. I complained to Reg123 and they responded "I am glad to let you know that the Domain Redirect has been removed for "mydomain".co.uk.  I'm not sure how/who had set the Domain Redirect in the first place and, for many years, I've had no forwarding problems!  In the meanwhile mail flows seemed to return back to normal for the specific forwards; I then managed to set a "catch-all" successfully, left the specific named forwards, and all "seems" to be working again. I now also have random addressed spam back again (!)  but the PN spam filter is trapping them acceptably well, as usual.

atb48
Grafter

@shermans wrote:

I am sorry but I have to diasagree.  Not only is forwarding not working still, but now SENDING new emails does not work either for me.  I suspect that recipients' email systems have already tagged my email address as "SPAM", thanks to Plusnet who have yet to apologise to me, by the way for the mess they have caused.

FYI - my forwarded email flow seems to have recovered, but I have been tweaking the Reg123 forwarding and had Reg123 remove a "Domain Forwarding" (don't know why it was there).  BUT I have had one, but only one outgoing (via relay.plus.net) returned the the way you mentioned.  I've just sent 2 other outgoing mails to myself at other, independent Domains (one being GMail) and both succeeded.

It may be worth taking note that some time ago I had, myself, set correct (tested via MXToolBox) SPF and DMARC records via the Reg123 Advanced DNS Records' tool.  PN had refused to consider setting SPF, let alone DMARC, and do not provide their customers the ability to set their own DNS Records - I had to move the handling of one of my Domains back to Reg123 from PN in order to carry out the SPF/DMARC task. 

Boxersoft
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@shermans Yes, it will be a pain to do a large number (FWIW I have more than 400 - mine could do with a severe pruning too!) since they all have to be done singly through the 123-reg web UI. It would be nice if there was a way to bulk download/upload the settings or a scripting API of some sort, but AFAIAA they don't provide anything like that.

Still, working though a dozen or so at a time shouldn't be too mind-numbing and you don't have to wait until this fiasco is over before making a start.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Oh well, my theory seems to have been discounted...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shermans
Pro

I am, not surprisingly, receiving spam now that the spam filter has been turned off.  So it would ne nice to know when Plusnet expect to sort this problem out and whether they will tell us whether it has been fixed, so that we can turn the spam filter back on.

I note that no-one from Plusnet has responded to my previous request to :

1. Please may we therefore have a REGULAR UPDATE on progress resolving this issue

2. Please will you add a topic about this email outage on the SERVICE INFORMATION page of the Forum.  It is affecting hundreds of people.  Why is this issue not being drawn to the attention of every unsuspecting customer ?

As I said before, just remember that we have to endure those irritating advertisements on the radio for Plusnet's customer service, and just live up to the claims.

shermans
Pro

I have just received this response from 123-reg :

It seems that PlusNet has made some changes on their end and it's affecting a lot of our customer's mail forwarding.
I have added an SPF record to your domains just to make your emails a secured and trusted source.
For this to be solved, you will need to contact PlusNet regarding this, as on our end everything is working just fine.
I hope this solves your query!

So it is fairly clear that Plusnet is the cause of the problem, presumably due to their recently announced "upgrade" of the email system [Sorry, should that have read downgrade ?]

So, for what it is worth, will someone from Plusnet now please confirm whether the SPF record is now recognised and therefore whether we can move on at last ?  Thank you.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @shermans

Our mail platform owner  has confirmed that changes were made on 18/03/2019 around 12AM+. Since a change was implemented, he has not had a valid example of the same issue. 

Are you still noticing issues? 

Thanks, 

MoR

rooky
Grafter

I seem to be getting emails but no way as much as I did. Some emails I get from companies seems to have stop coming.
atb48
Grafter

I continue to feel VERY concerned about the situation that PlusNet appear to have created.  For whatever reason, my incoming mail flows appears to be OK for the last few days, PN's Spam filter is working as well as usual (it is not switched off) and I use specific and catch-all forwarding via Reg123.  HOWEVER:

- PlusNet appears to refuse to provide any "Incident Report". That should be detailed  enough to allow us to understand why the situation arose, the actions being taken and planned.

- Inbound email failures are NOT immediately obvious to us as recipients, it tends to require the senders to take note and somehow (!?) inform us of the problem they have experienced. 

- From recent experience it seems that the bounce messages are very poor and have limited detail as to the cause and source of the bounce!

SO, without such information how can we feel assured that, when PlusNet decide again to "improve" their email service the whole situation will not be repeated?

lladoogad
Dabbler

As of 10:30am this morning I still do not have any emails frowarded from 123-reg reaching my plusnet account. Friends who have sent messages say they get an email saying that the account has a fatal error. Forwarding works perfectly if sent to my gmail account.

daveh1
Hooked

Maybe it’s time to accept that Plus net aren’t what they crack themselves up to be. I’ve been a customer for over 17 years and in that time I’ve watched them grow from the early Force9 days into the uncaring behemoth they are today. Over that growth period the friendly family business style customer service has rapidly deteriorated and these days they just don’t care.
It’s now been a whole week, we’re technically on day 8 today and still no official response regarding a permanent fix. Lots of people have been adversely affected, some with a serious cost implication, and they just don’t care enough to acknowledge that.
It’s disgusting Plus net. You should be ashamed and embarrassed over this situation, and you should be resolving it and reporting back to your paying customers immediately. If you genuinely don’t believe you’re the cause of the problem then you should be working with 123reg or whomever you believe to be responsible to get a good outcome for your customers. IT’S WHAT WE PAY YOU FOR!