cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email forwarding from 123Reg/Host Europe

rooky
Grafter

Re: email forwarding from 123Reg/Host Europe

Me too having issues night before yesterday. I’ve been with 123 for years no problem being forward. We need plus net to sort this ASAP pls. Long term customer here unhappy 

123 said you need remove SFP check ?

rooky
Grafter

I personally don’t think plus net bothered I told them at lunch time yesterday plenty time sort it. They ignoring the sfp check to be removed too I don’t think they know what they doing these days plus net just going downhill. Can’t wait to move when contract up
MrE
Dabbler

Interesting that others haven’t had problems with this set up over long term.

I’ve had several instances of 123Reg server failures over the years. I’ve been using this approach for 17 years with variousI SP email systems. This is the first email failure I’ve had with Plusnet in the 6 years I’ve been with them.

This one is particularly annoying as it looks like incoming mails are lost and I’ve no idea if I’ve missed important emails or not. I’ve had to resort to sending an email to likely senders asking them to resend.

I’m thinking of biting the bullet and signing up for Microsoft Exchsnge Online to simplify the setup.

rooky
Grafter

What method you using now
MrE
Dabbler

As a workaround during the current problems I’ve changed the forwarding setting at 123Reg to a gmail account.
rooky
Grafter

I have requests Plusnet to remove SFP check they just totally ignore it. 123 the network said this will solve the problem.
timbob1

Exactly the same problem here. Clearly PlusNet have changed something as this has worked for me for years until yesterday. No response to the ticket I raised so far.

rooky
Grafter

Yes they have surely. But they don’t seem know what the issue is 

erniehug

I've just logged the same problem too. I've reset my forwarding to gmail addresses for now.

burgesstribe

I also have this issue & was also told by 123-Reg that problem must be at Plusnet end.  Phoned Plusnet & they said they didn't know anything about issue(!) but having found this thread & before I could phone them back, they phoned me to apologise as they had now also found the thread.  In any case, they will work with 123-Reg to resolve, hopefully by end 16th March.  In the meantime, I'll change the forwarding to an alternative that should work (thanks for good advice).

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

A warm welcome to all of the new members posting here.

References to "domain does not exist" is a distinct problem which is being worked on.

The general forwarding reports somewhat sound like SPF compliance failures - in which case Reg123's advice to ask Plusnet to turn it off is fundamentally wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework

Sender Policy Framework (SPF) is an email authentication method designed to detect forged sender addresses in emails (email spoofing), a technique often used in phishing and email spam.

SPF allows the receiver to check that an email claiming to come from a specific domain comes from an IP address authorized by that domain's administrators.

INBOUND SPF verification is a measure to reduce SPAM proliferation, it is facilitated where the SENDER's email address specifies a permitted SMTP sender restriction.  For example it might state that for me@mydomain.co.uk ONLY smtp.mydomain.co.uk is a valid email relay service.  The receiving email service looks to see if there is a SPF constraint and verifies that the email originated from the specified SMTP, if it does the email is accepted, if it does not it is rejected.

For straight forward from A to C email messaging this largely works without issue.  HOWEVER where there is an intermediary A to B to C as in email forwarding, life gets messy.

If A has a SPF restriction B checks that the email from A came from a permitted sender and accepts delivery.  Unless the provider of email service B (in this case Reg123) has set things up properly, when the email is subsequently forwarded, it is done so as being from A sent by B's SMTP server.  When received at C, the SPF check fails because B is not an acceptable SMTP for A.

If the above is the correct analysis of the issue, then the right solution is for Reg123 to ensure that they have correctly implemented SRS … not for Plusnet to switch off the highly desirable inbound SPF spam prevention measures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Rewriting_Scheme

In a number of cases, including change of email address and mailing lists, an MTA accepts an email message that is not destined to a local mailbox but needs to be forwarded. In such cases, the question arises of who deserves to receive any related bounce message. In general, that is either the author, or a person or other entity who administers the forwarding itself.[2] Sending bounces to the author is administratively simpler and used to be accomplished by just keeping the original envelope sender. However, if the author address is subject to a strict SPF policy (-all) and the target MTA happens to enforce it, the forwarding transaction can be rejected.

Sorry if all of this appears to be very technical … but the space is very technical.

I implore all users experiencing this problem in the first instance to ask Reg123 if when forwarding emails, are they applying SRS on the forwarded emails?  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rooky
Grafter

I understand what your saying.

But 123 Reg cant be doing anything wrong if we can all get our emails forward to a different provider me being iCloud and others being gmail without a issue.. This is why it must be something down to Plus net having altered something as we all had no problem up till yesterday

rooky
Grafter

I am in talk with 123 reg now on there online chat asking for them to check the SRS..

rooky
Grafter

123 reg are saying they dont have it..this what they said to me

Thats not something we can add on a email forwarder

rooky
Grafter

@burgesstribe wrote:

I also have this issue & was also told by 123-Reg that problem must be at Plusnet end.  Phoned Plusnet & they said they didn't know anything about issue(!) but having found this thread & before I could phone them back, they phoned me to apologise as they had now also found the thread.  In any case, they will work with 123-Reg to resolve, hopefully by end 16th March.  In the meantime, I'll change the forwarding to an alternative that should work (thanks for good advice).

Did the person on the phone said they get it sorted by the end of today.. I was told it wont be till next week