cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email error 552 when including web address

brian33a

email error 552 when including web address

If I try to send any email that includes a weblink, such as https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53089614

the email will not sent, and I get an error message such as:

The message could not be sent because its size exceeded the server's limit. You can use the option, located in Tools | Accounts | Properties | Advanced, to break messages into smaller parts. Subject 'Web test 1', Account: 'Brian@PlusNet', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '552 m0l0jYpT2NXR9m0l1jhnyr message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 552, Error Number: 0x800CCC6D

This occurs if the email content is just the link, so "size exceeded" is bogus

If I split the weblink over several lines, then no such error occurs, and the email is sent.

Brian

5 REPLIES 5
brian33a

Re: email error 552 when including web address

The attached screenshot error message was for an email that contained the link https://brilliantmaps.com

Brian

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Are you sure you're just including the link and not embedding the page referenced in your message? That's the only thing I can think of which would increase the size.

However, a more detailed look at the message shows the mail was actually rejected by spam/virus filtering, probably because messages containing a URL are usually spam. That's particularly true of messages where the URL is the only or main content.

Moreover, as you're using an insecure OS - Windows XP, your mail is likely to generate even more suspicion and might even contain a virus or two.

brian33a

I am using WinXp and Outlook for my test using the bbc weblink, but the original problem occurred on my wife's Win10 PC with Thunderbird.

it would appear that the antispam filter is being over-aggressive.

My wife's original email contained a few paragraphs of plain text plus the link

https://brilliantmaps.com/

The size of .my email (with just the bbc link) in the outbox (now in drafts was 2k, and the contents are:

Brian

B
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi @brian33a 

A warm welcome to the forums.  It would be risky to presume that the URLs are the cause of this issue alone.  There have been instances where a URL on its own does not give rise to an error event, but does so in combination with something else, for example another URL or the sending regime - for example Gmail.

I have successfully sent emails containing just the BBC URL from a Plusnet and a Gmail account to a Plusnet account.

Sending an email containing containing brilliant-maps URLs from a Plusnet and a Gmail account to a Plusnet account failed with a 552 error.

552 maAMjvkGfjUVQmaANj4j5T message rejected due to spam or virus

Sending an email containing containing both URLs from a Plusnet and a Gmail account to a Plusnet account failed with a different 552 error.

552 ma7djvk6xjUVQma7ej4j1T message rejected due to spam or virus

If these failed for the same reason, I would expect them to have the same detection signature.  I will send to support, the detailed information which they will require to save you the hassle.

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi @brian33a ,

The feedback I received advises that the finger printing does not work quite like I thought it does, hence the different finger print IDs for the two tests- each failed for the same reason.

Brilliant-maps is classed as a spammy website.

As for the issue with the BBC URL, given I managed to send an email with it on its own, I would examine the other content of your email which gives rise to the failure.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.