cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email address aliases - any way to shorten?

rae

email address aliases - any way to shorten?

Is there any way to change my email address aliases to something shorter and simpler?
When I first joined Plusnet and chose a username I didn't realise this would be at the root of all my email addresses. It's cumbersome and I can't seem to change it.
If there's no way to change it, can I upgrade or something to a more personalised address?

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: email address aliases - any way to shorten?

There's no way to change it I'm afraid. Everything is based around the accountname and changing it is not possible. Maybe you should think about registering your own domain name , a .me.uk , .org.uk or .co.uk domain only costs a few pounds /year and will come with email forwarding facilities. Having your own domain also means you don't have to change email addresses when you change ISP's...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Scooterman999
Rising Star

I was furious when switching to PlusNet that the Account name would be henceforth inextricably form part of the email address.  I too chose a rather cumbersome Account name, one that my wife refuses to have anything to do with, and which has caused me some embarrassment when sending my own emails.  PlusNet should do more to explain this to new customers.
DamBuilder
Grafter

I agree completely. I don't recall reading anything when I set my account up that said my username would permanently be the main part of my PlusNet email address...! It should be blatantly obvious when setting up the account that not only does it become part of the email address but also that it can NEVER be changed....
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry for any confusion around the email addresses, however this is called out in the text next to the username box during the signup process, I've attached a screenshot of that stage:
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

There are quite a few free email accounts available such as gmail.
Personally I bought a cheap domain appropriate to my needs and use that with the advantage that it's portable if I move ISP.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Scooterman999
Rising Star

Chris, thanks for that screenshot.  I'm usually pretty careful filling in boxes, especially with new accounts, and I don't remember seeing the words of warning.  I joined in April 2015 and just wonder if the same explanation existed then.
Having said that, with hindsight, a slight annoyance about my email address now pales into insignificance compared with the worry I would be feeling if I'd stayed with Talktalk..  Just hope PN's security is tight.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I signed up in November 2012 and the descriptive text was definitely there then...
Scooterman999
Rising Star

Thanks pwatson..............obviously I wasn't being as careful as I imagined!
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29