cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

duplicate email messages and missing webmail messages

Grafter

duplicate email messages and missing webmail messages

For some reason, I have been receiving multiple email messages to my PN account over the past couple of days - sometimes 4 or 5 of the same message (single addressee). Anyone know how to stop this ?
In addition, I configured my email a couple of years ago so that all of my incoming messages remained accessible via webmail here, despite me having them downloaded to a desktop via MS Outlook. Having just logged into webmail, there are no received messages at all, and I cant seem to locate the relevant  settings to save them. Can anyone throw any light please?
9 REPLIES 9
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: duplicate email messages and missing webmail messages

You have two mailboxes. Are you sure you're logging into the correct one when accessing via Webmail? The format for the additional mailbox username should be <username>+<mailbox-name> e.g. mypnusername+john.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Grafter

I cant see to access any other webmail, and there does not appear to be an option to generate a password reminder. Do I need to phone in for this?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You can reset the passwords here: http://email.plus.net
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Grafter

Thanks Jelv.
That logs me into the member centre, from where I can see all my email accounts (although why I need a further login to actually access the emails I dont know.) Anyway, I can see that messages are coming in via webmail, but soon after, presumably after they've been downloaded to my desktop, they disappear from webmail. This is not how I set it up, and certainly not how the account used to operate. Can someone give me a pointer for the settings to retain messages on the server, whilst also having them downloaded please?
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I believe these settings are via your email clients not webmail. I would check the settings on outlook, mobiles etc.
I don't think it's a good idea to leave two years or more emails on  planet's servers. Eventually they will delete them as reported previously on these fora  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I suspect this has something to do with your problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Grafter

Checked that Outlook is configured to retain messages on the server - it is, and for 14 days. So that's not working at all, and continuing to receive duplicate emails for no apparent reason.
Just when I was considering coming back to PN using their FTTC service as well. Maybe not now.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Did you read the Microsoft thread linked in the forum post I pointed you towards? There is a known problem affecting Outlook 2016 that's causing it to delete messages from the server despite you telling it not to. That's Microsoft's doing, it has nothing to do with Plusnet Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Also, if you expect to read message both in webmail and using a local client you'd be far better off using IMAP rather than POP3!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)