Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can send but not recieve , new problem

ivanhoew
Dabbler

can send but not recieve , new problem

hello all ,
well l i have read on here that this seems to be a problem that happens now and again , but cannot find a solution that works for me ...
the situation is this ..
im in vancouver for a month ,and have been here since the 1st dec . my email was working perfectly well , in and out ,till this morning ,where it went to recieve but not send . i have read all i can find ,and have tried changing port to 26 and changing all sort of things i read about .no luck . i tried a system restore to yesterday ,and then to two days ago , no luck .so im a bit stuck .
any more suggestions ? oh i get an error message after it has tried to send

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 't', Account: 'roberts mail', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

thanks  Smiley
robert
18 REPLIES 18
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: can send but not recieve , new problem

Hi Robert,
Are you using a Plusnet connection when trying to send e-mails?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I imagine he isn't, unless he's dialled up from Vancouver.
To use relay.plus.net (and port 25 is the correct one) from an external connection requires use of authentication (Outlook Express Guide). However if sending was working until this morning that must have been set. Did you change any settings before the problem occurred?
Another possibility is using a different connection - eg mobile internet via an operator that blocks access to a third-party (eg Plusnet) mail server on port 25. In that case you would have to use the mobile operator's send-mail server.
David
whelpton
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Another possibility is using a different connection.

You should also be able to use our webmail system to send outgoing mails if you are finding that your network provider is restricting you to their outgoing servers.
ivanhoew
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
Hi Robert,
Are you using a Plusnet connection when trying to send e-mails?

hi chris , im using the laptop exactly as it was set when i was in england ,if that helps !
ivanhoew
Dabbler

I imagine he isn't, unless he's dialled up from Vancouver.
To use relay.plus.net (and port 25 is the correct one) from an external connection requires use of authentication (Outlook Express Guide). However if sending was working until this morning that must have been set. Did you change any settings before the problem occurred?
Another possibility is using a different connection - eg mobile internet via an operator that blocks access to a third-party (eg Plusnet) mail server on port 25. In that case you would have to use the mobile operator's send-mail server.

no changes made , i just used it last night ,fine ,then this morning... pants!
ivanhoew
Dabbler

Quote from: Keith
Another possibility is using a different connection.

You should also be able to use our webmail system to send outgoing mails if you are finding that your network provider is restricting you to their outgoing servers.

hi kieth ,
yes im using that now , but it is so much easier using my normal mail to send stuff nd answer mail. Sad
whelpton
Grafter

Hi Ivanhoew.
As sparxyt said, you should be able to use your normal email program as long as you set the outgoing SMTP authentication to on. Our email setup guides show you how to set this up, just click on Send mail from any connection (SMTP Authentication) for your mail program.
ivanhoew
Dabbler

hi kieth ,
im afraid i did this first thing , it was all ok and as the guide shows im afraid , i suppose it must have been since it was all working here last night .

thanks
robert
dick:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend

How do you connect to the internet in your present location?
David
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It might be worth setting up another account on your e-mail program using the same e-mail address, just to see if that will work.
ivanhoew
Dabbler

How do you connect to the internet in your present location?

through a wireless connection that the rest of the house pc's use . this goes to shaw  ,the local provider .
spraxyt
Resting Legend

It looks like Shaw block access to third-party sendmail servers via Port 25 for spam reduction reasons. See help page http://www.shaw.ca/Support/Internet/Email/Troubleshoot-Email/Third-Party-Client-Issues/ - snip from page attached. As alluded to in earlier responses this will be what is preventing you sending via the Plusnet relays.
Perhaps this policy has only recently been introduced since sending used to work.
There have been hints that a workaround for this could be round the counter but nothing announced yet.
David
David
ivanhoew
Dabbler

thank you very much david ,

this bit ...
''use this provider to also send mail, you will need to contact them to obtain an alternate port number ''
would suggest that i could do this with plusnet ,and get an alternative port nymber ? is this possible ?
regards
robert
dick:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: ivanhoew
… would suggest that i could do this with plusnet ,and get an alternative port nymber ? is this possible ?

Not at the moment as far as I'm aware. That is what the following quote
There have been hints that a workaround for this could be round the counter but nothing announced yet.

… refers to.
Do you have a gmail account? Using their sendmail server which uses a different port (and security) could be an option.
David
David