cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I get plusnet from a Google email account?

albert
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

can I get plusnet from a Google email account?

I've been having a lot of trouble getting emails on Outlook and have, essentially, given up because I don't want to buy a new 'supported' version.

Webmail just about works but it is very slow and I find it user unfriendly.

So I'm wondering if it's possible to create a Google account and use that to access Plus Net emails? If so, is there a link to somewhere showing me how to to that? 

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: can I get plusnet from a Google email account?

@albert 

You cannot 'forward' emails but you can 'redirect' them, which is probably what you want to do. Read through this thread and it should give you the information you seek:  https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Email-Forwarding-is-it-possible/td-p/1748801

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I interpreted what @albert was looking for, was an alternative web based email client. So was asking if the gmail client could access plusnet email. I think it can , but only via POP3 and its probably a little fiddly to configure.

@albert , do you really need a web based client ? If not , then look at a mail client such as Thunderbird

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Is it "Outlook.com", or one of the programmes such as OUTLOOK 2013/6/9?

If the latter, DO NOT ALLOW OUTLOOK to configure automatically; has to be

done manually.

Use SEARCH button here to find other posts on this to find configuration.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@albert wrote:

I've been having a lot of trouble getting emails on Outlook and have, essentially, given up because I don't want to buy a new 'supported' version.

It would help if you explained what "a lot of trouble" actually looks like (error codes) and which version of "Outlook" you are using.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

albert
Rising Star

Thanks for all the advice.

I've come to the conclusion that Outlook 2010 is not worth fixing as it is no longer supported.

At least for the time being, I'm just going to open a Google account and forward all incoming PlusNet emails to that new address. I don't mind sending emails from it as I'm only using it for friends and family.

I use MS Office365 for work, but I am reluctant to put personal emails onto that account - not least because they can probably be read by my superiors.

Really appreciate all your support, guys!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@albert wrote:

I've come to the conclusion that Outlook 2010 is not worth fixing as it is no longer supported.

At least for the time being, I'm just going to open a Google account and forward all incoming PlusNet emails to that new address. I don't mind sending emails from it as I'm only using it for friends and family.

If you really mean forwarding and also sending from the Plusnet email address, then you cannot do that.

Plusnet does not offer email forwarding, it offer email redirect addresses, that is it facilitates you@plusnet not being here but being at newyou@somewhereelse - in this "mode" you cannot send emails as you@plusnet via Plusnet's email relay service.

Gmail does have the ability to "harvest" emails using POP3 from other email providers, such as Plusnet.  That requires you to also have a Gmail email address and is rather messy unless you understand exactly what your are doing.

There is no good reason why you cannot get Outlook 2010 to work, albeit probably without encryption working.  You have not offered any details of your difficulty, so it is not easy to offer help to you, some clues might enable us to get this working for you.  You do not indicate if you have problems receiving, sending or both.

OOUTLOOK 2010 is not blighted by the "trying to be helpful" self configuration of the later versions of the product.  In simple terms, you need to configure OL2010 as follows, possibly "correcting" some of the assumptions it makes for you - set up a new mailbox as IMAP...

Email address: yourmail@youraccount.plus.com (Note this must be already set up under "Manage my Mail")

Your Name: Albert ...

Incoming (IMAP) server: mail.plus.net port 143 encryption none

User name: youraccount (of if not the primary mailbox youraccount+yourmail )

Password: as appropriate for the above - default mailbox is your Plusnet password - others, the specific email address

Outgoing (SMTP) server: relay.plus.net port 587 encryption none

Username / password as above

The above should work.  If when you try to sync (download your emails) you do not get any errors, but you see not emails, then go back into the settings and set the root folder to inbox

When you have this working, you could try enabling encryption.

IMAP needs to use port 993 with SSL/TLS

SMTP still uses 587 with STARTTLS

OL2010 is not the only email client in town, many use thunderbird which is free - most certainly a better option than Gmail, but not as good as OL2010 which has rich support for contact and calendar management.

HTH?

albert
Rising Star

Just to complete the story. My webmail is still chronically slow but I bought a new PC and found that it included Outlook 2019. That is working like a dream. So all is well on the email front.